• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How to dry a Poblano Pepper?

brewerjamie15

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've looked around and see several ways to dry my Poblano Peppers. I'm looking to make them into anchos for chili this fall and winter.
I want them to remain whole.

I have seen on the internet someone "smoking" peppers? Never heard of this before.

I'm going to harvest several peppers tomorrow. Red bell, Yellow Bell, Poblano, Cayenne, Giant Chinese, maybe one or two more.

I can't hang dry them because the weather is going to cool off soon and get wet. I have no dehydrator.

Thanks Guys.

Paint Stripper gun.... might char them up a bit though!

But no seriously, you need to smoke them on any regular smoker for many many hours at a quite low temperature... I'm not sure of the exact temp, but I'm thinking like 175 or so.

Best way is to do them on a BBQ WOk or glill plate with all those holes...

The smoke is what gives "Chipotle Peppers" the taste... damn delicious!

Cheers!

Bill

I've had decent luck drying peppers in either a smoker, or the oven. I just lay them out on metal pizza screens (or those cheap grill screens you see in the grilling section of your local market), and smoke (or bake, if oven) for 8-12 hours, depending on the peppers, at between 185-200. The bigger the peppers, usually the longer they take to dry. Jalapeno's don't seem to work as well as they are so meaty, so I usually half them lengthwise first. If you don't dry them thoroughly, they'll mold.

Just don't use a waterpan with water in it, would kind of defeat the purpose!

Once they're dry, you can seal them in a ziplock or vacuuseal bag, or throw them in a blender to make your own chile powders. Just be careful opening the blender!:twisted: (go ahead, ask me how I know this!)

Thanks guys. too bad there's no Milwaukee Labor Day event this year. It was fun hanging out with you last year.

Yeah, it is a bummer! Not to highjack this thread, but there's one (contest) in Kenosha this weekend, we'll be heading up there as spectators tomorrow. We have some camper issues to fix before competing again.

We now return you to your thread:-D

BTW, is D&R the right place for this thread?

Thanks Mark. I'm going to try to smoke a few.
My wife would rather I "just dry" some without smoking, so I have to do some that way too. I'm going to use the oven for that one. We once bought anchos from a spice store (the spice house) they had the seeds in them and the stems on. It's ok to do this way in the oven right? I'm waaay looking forward to this gig. My peppers look great right now.

Sure you can do it that way in the oven , but my recommendation is still to open them to double the surface area. More efficient = less oven energy use = cooler kitchen = less A/C costs.

Back