• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

So, Why Do I Need a Santuko?

Assume you are talkin bout the back hollow grind? You can do that with all these single bevels not just the deba. Could just as easily put a double bevel to it. The wide spine makes a nice kine balance to a smaller knife. But bottomline gotta go pick up the knife you want first.

Assume you are talkin bout the back hollow grind? You can do that with all these single bevels not just the deba. Could just as easily put a double bevel to it. The wide spine makes a nice kine balance to a smaller knife. But bottomline gotta go pick up the knife you want first.
Sigh.
This is why, many decades ago, I predicted all deba's would go extinct.
Ai deba, Atsu deba, all of them, they cannot be sharpened by any old pleb and retain their specialized benefits.(Double bevel are a new western syle)
I've never met anyone outside of Japan who can do it, and I can't do it although I have watched carefully when it was demonstrated to me.
Their edge is a clam edge and it is designed to cut soft meat for a LONG time before needing sharpening.
Once you sharpen or use a steel and turn that into a normal bevel, it is just like any other knife.
It was designed so because it kept its fine cutting edge when pressed against bones in fish heads.

The OP has the same approach as me, I don't go picking the knife I want, I pick the knife most suitable for the purpose.
I love knifes and am not a robot, aesthetically I am swayed, but the primary rule is to choose the right tool for the specific job.
Deba's just are not good for the jobs a santoku do.

I have a Shun Santoku and it is without a doubt my most used knife, mainly because what I do the most with a knife in the kitchen is dicing and chopping and this is where the Santoku has it strengths, not because it is the single best tool for most things in the kitchen. For other chores in the kitchen like trimming meats, or slicing, I grab other knives.

The double bevel western style is the most convenient to cut with. I don't happen to think you have to put a hamaguri to the deba or it is kapu to use. The heft to a smaller knife is the primary advantage that I like about the deba. One thing I forgot to mention is to size the knife according to your height and arm length they make all kine sizes. Aloha.

No more shoes in Hawai'i so no understand the reference. Thought you said you like more clamshell/hamaguri on your deba edge? I think we can debate the merits of Japanese knife sharpening all day here. The point coming back to the Santoku question is that just because a knife is japanese not western shouldn't mean it's use is more strict. You paid your money so use your knife however best. I think the main reason the Santoku over other knife types was marketed so much in the west was because it is a good looking small chef's knife. The deba has more belly, heft and may or may not have clamshell edge. Lol.

:laugh: @ shoes.
Okay, I don't agree that is is only marketing that is making the santoku popular, nor it's aesthetics.
I want to best serve the OP , I'm also not interested in the ego dance between brothers, just to be on the same page emotionally.
I agree that you use the knife how you want, but it is best to use it in a manner that keeps it's attributes.
I think the santoku is a great tool because it's thinness and the space between the knife edge and handle means it is super at doing slice and dice veges, it is just a great light and easy tool for many kitchen jobs.
A deba with it's fat blade is not good at slice and dice veges, in comparison.
It is better at pressing through soft tissue.
To aid the OP in his decision, I make the point that a nakiri added to his collection would do those tasks admirably, plus he gets a grater, shredder, hammer, tenderizer as well, but the deba isn't going to fill that space.
He light rather go with a santoku but he is a smart guy, he survived living in Perth!:becky:
He will pick out the info he trusts the most and make his decision.

I am not a huge fan of the Santoku when I am doing Japanese food, it is a hybrid knife, and it is not quite as good as the specialized knives at many things. It is not, by the way, a cleaver. It is meant to replace the Gyuto, Petty and Nakiri, which is to say, it is for general slicing, vegetable prep and fruit and detail work. It does all of these passingly and none of these things great. I do have two of them, and my tenant loves to use them. I actually prefer my Chef's knife, as I can do all of the same things, but, faster, cleaner and better with a 8 to 10 inch gyuto or Chef's knife.

That being said, I much prefer the carbon steel Japanese santoku to the stainless steel ones from Europe, as the European ones have a funky belly to the edge. I prefer the straighter edge for working with vegetables. I never use my santoku on meat.

I have no use for a Deba, I do want a new Gyuto. I love my Yanagibe and want a Takohiki, but, they are pricey. I also need a couple of new Nakiri, just do not know where they went to.

I dig the Nakiri myself. Looking for a nice long slicer next. I have a Shun 9" but it's more carving than slicing. Never too many tools in the box.

The dangers of Internet consultation of japanese knife experts in Aussieland and Hawai'i. All your base is ours. Haha. Seriously, though the kiritsuke is supposed to be the "true" all purpose Japanese, but it is so ugly only a mother (or Japanese knife maker) could love. Not shown here to protect the innocent. Have one on order from ol' shig.

I dig the Nakiri myself. Looking for a nice long slicer next. I have a Shun 9" but it's more carving than slicing. Never too many tools in the box.
You want a Maguro Kiri, they come in different lengths, I have seen them as long as 36 inches or so.
12.jpg

Do the scollaps in the knives actually stop Vegetables from sticking.
I have been pondering if I need one myself.
Cheers.
Titch

Still get some sticking. For me though it's the way the knife fits and the angle of the blade. I love it for slicing tomatoes and onions especially and can easily get a 1/16" thin slice. I also prefer it for chopping leafy fresh herbs too.

Concerning the scallops on a Santuko, one must be real careful when making the distinction about scalloped knives and Granton knives. And by careful, I mean not mistaking the two as being one and the same.

With a real Granton knife, your veggies, meat, herbs, whatever, will not stick. It's simply the way the knife is designed. The Granton edge has scallops that go right down to the knife's edge, with each scallop alternating on opposite sides of the knife. This is why the knife truly works.

Both expensive and non-expensive what I call "sorta-copies" don't do this. You must use a real Granton knife to understand how and why this design from 1928 is often copied, but never really works.

Just my two (Granton knife experienced) cents...:-D

Concerning the scallops on a Santuko, one must be real careful when making the distinction about scalloped knives and Granton knives. And by careful, I mean not mistaking the two as being one and the same.

With a real Granton knife, your veggies, meat, herbs, whatever, will not stick. It's simply the way the knife is designed. The Granton edge has scallops that go right down to the knife's edge, with each scallop alternating on opposite sides of the knife. This is why the knife truly works.

Both expensive and non-expensive what I call "sorta-copies" don't do this. You must use a real Granton knife to understand how and why this design from 1928 is often copied, but never really works.

Just my two (Granton knife experienced) cents...:-D

To your point.

http://www.knifemerchant.com/products.asp?manufacturerID=6

Exactly. I purchased my 12 inch Slicer from KM. I wish Granton did make a Santuko as I really like the design of the knife, but they do have a 10 inch Chef's knife...

Back