My lengua experiment

Those tacos look very good. Can you describe the taste/texture for those of us who have never eaten beef tongue?

I'm just not sure I want to try this, yet. What makes this different, or worth trying than other beef meals?

CD
I have never tried a Q'ed tongue but I have had it countless times before. The most challenging thing imo about the dish is the way it looks. The meat itself is very tender. If cooked correctly then it almost melts in your mouth. This is the type of meat that when cooked correctly has a pleasant texture, but when cooked incorrectly it it a disaster (think tough leather boots). When cooked correctly it is very moist. People have described it as spongy but not in a bad way. As for taste, I have to say it tastes beefy:confused:. People who have it for the first time have described it as roast beefy. Ive never had roast beef so if I ever do I guess I will describe roast beef as tasting like tongue :biggrin1:. Its not a really strong taste it is quite delicate. If you live in a city with a high mexican population i would recommend going to a popular taco spot where there are good reviews on their tongue tacos and trying them.

Edit: @Tonybel how does this compare to the usual preparation (braised /sauteed)? Im really interested in trying it this way but only if it exceeds the standard preparation.

We always ate it braised, and it has a beefy taste and a silken texture, meltingly tender. My mom served it sliced (thus, obviously tongue). The local taquerias around here serve it chopped, it just looks like chopped beef. I am very sensitive to texture, I find tongue/lengua to be fine

Those tacos look very good. Can you describe the taste/texture for those of us who have never eaten beef tongue?

I'm just not sure I want to try this, yet. What makes this different, or worth trying than other beef meals?

CD

Goyo626 described it perfectly... Melt in your mouth.

It has a good beefy flavor and when you add salt and lemon and you favorite salsa it all works good together. In our culture this is served to toddlers and babies first solid food since its so tender.

First of all, I love tongue tacos and it looks like you nailed it.

But $4.99/lb, really? That's real steak prices, sometimes, and tri-tip all the time if I buy in bulk.

Years ago I had some tongue thinly sliced from a deli and that was way better than the boiled stuff my mom tries to pass off as beef.

I have always peeled the tongue first, after a par boil. But, I was watching a Mexican guy who worked for my dad, he seasoned after chopping, then he gave it a hot toss on a plancha.

I know its weird... But that's the way were raised. We also eat menudo( cow stomach) and tripas ( beef tripe)..:razz:

Menudo is one of the tastiest foods I've had. Especially after a hangover.:biggrin1: Great job on the lengua. I'm definitely going to try it myself. I always opt out for the tongue meat whenever I come across it and I've had it prepared a ton of different ways. Some of the best meat around for sure if you ask me. :thumb:

Smoking sure beats watching that ugly piece of meat boiling on the stove, but it is about the most tender beef you will ever eat. $4.99 a pound is a bit high around here. Most of the time I can get them free if I want to make the effort to contact some of the meat processing places. Lots of people that have a steer butchered don't want the tongue or the heart, another tasty part of the cow.

I have never tried a Q'ed tongue but I have had it countless times before. The most challenging thing imo about the dish is the way it looks. The meat itself is very tender. If cooked correctly then it almost melts in your mouth. This is the type of meat that when cooked correctly has a pleasant texture, but when cooked incorrectly it it a disaster (think tough leather boots). When cooked correctly it is very moist. People have described it as spongy but not in a bad way. As for taste, I have to say it tastes beefy:confused:. People who have it for the first time have described it as roast beefy. Ive never had roast beef so if I ever do I guess I will describe roast beef as tasting like tongue :biggrin1:. Its not a really strong taste it is quite delicate. If you live in a city with a high mexican population i would recommend going to a popular taco spot where there are good reviews on their tongue tacos and trying them.

Edit: @Tonybel how does this compare to the usual preparation (braised /sauteed)? Im really interested in trying it this way but only if it exceeds the standard preparation.

The flavor is better. It's more juicier, beefier flavor. You just have to try it. My wife said we will never boil again.

The flavor is better. It's more juicier, beefier flavor. You just have to try it. My wife said we will never boil again.

Thanks for the response. did you score the outside of the tongue to allow the smoke to penetrate or just seasoned and put on the smoker?

Does the seasoning penetrate the skin? Or is this a bit of a wasted step since the skin is peeled off and discarded?

I don't think the seasoning penetrates the skin on top. But the other sides gets it and creates a little crust. There is only skin on top the toungue.

First of all, I love tongue tacos and it looks like you nailed it.

But $4.99/lb, really? That's real steak prices, sometimes, and tri-tip all the time if I buy in bulk.

Years ago I had some tongue thinly sliced from a deli and that was way better than the boiled stuff my mom tries to pass off as beef.

It was a little high but I didn't feel like going to Costco and getting the 2 pack for 20 dollars. Besides that store was 1 mile away. Thanks for looking.

That looks great! The last one I did I braised it in my dutch oven at 275 for four hours then peeled it, sliced it into medallions, and then hit it on the grill till it was good and charred. Tasted great, and charring it on the grill took away some of that spongey texture without making it dry. Made for a great faux-steak and cheese sandwich.

Thanks for the response. did you score the outside of the tongue to allow the smoke to penetrate or just seasoned and put on the smoker?

I didn't score...just seasoned it and off the WSM it went. After my wife chopped it she did lightly added salt.

That looks great! The last one I did I braised it in my dutch oven at 275 for four hours then peeled it, sliced it into medallions, and then hit it on the grill till it was good and charred. Tasted great, and charring it on the grill took away some of that spongey texture without making it dry. Made for a great faux-steak and cheese sandwich.

Thanks for tip... That's a good idea if I want to make tortas.

Back