Aging Brisket

Porky

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I picked up a 11.5 lb CAB cryopacked Brisket yesterday at restaurant depot and I know I will not be using it till mid August. What should I do other than keep it in the beer fridge in my garage?

What Sled said...

You can keep a brisket in the cryo for up to 45 days in the fridge, but that is 50 days from the date that it was packed, not the date that you bought it. If you can't get the kill date from Rest. Depot then I would freeze it until you are ready to cook it.

How do I find the kill date? Is it marked on the label? What if I just keep it for 40 days and then cook it, would that be OK?

It's probably not on the label. It may be stamped on the cryo, but not likely. It is on the case that the briskets came in so someone at RD would have to get that info for you.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with 40 days without knowing the date. For example, I bought a case of CAB briskets and they were already at 30 days when I got them. Without knowing the date you can't be sure.

One "rule of thumb" that may help is to look at the cryo. Assuming that it hasn't been breached if you see bubbled in the cryo that are about dime sized then the brisket is about 30 days aged, nickel sized would be 40 days and quarter sized would be 50 days, but again, without knowing for sure I wouldn't take a chance.

Call or stop by RD, the kill date is on the case. But I would do it soon, as they typically move a good amount of product and a new more recent date will be stamped.

Worst case, cook this one, enjoy it and get another one when you know all the variables for the August event. :-D

It will be put into the freezer this evening and thawed when needed. Thank you for your help.

i freeze mine if i plan on holding on to them for a short time just to make sure there's no problems. You can't go wrong as long as you remember to take it out in time!

Getting the pack date is a real key to ageing brisket. Generally, you need to buy it by the case beacause the pack date is labled on the case. However, I learned the Sam's by me stamps the "sell by" date 30 days from the pack date.

I have no problems wet ageing a brisket in my meat fridge up to 60 days. I think they're nearly inedible under 30 days and generally shoot for the 50 day mark for consumption.

CAB briskets won't even get delivered to the wholesaler unless they are 21 days aged already. I believe that is what I am told.

Back