Smoked some King Salmon

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Recently I got the chance to smoke up some bear. My friend who brought me it was so happy, he brought me a King Salmon to smoke. :thumb:
He brought it to me cleaned with the tail and head removed. I then cut it up into various pieces. Some with the skin on, some without. I started off by giving all the pieces a cure rub down. I glanced around online for some cure recipes and realized that the sugar and salt ratios were in line with Pig Pollen so, I decided to use that. First I put a layer on a sheet pan, then laid the fish on it, and dusted the top side down.

It cured in the fridge for about 2 hours. I would have preferred a cure closer to 6 hours but, didn't have the time. After that, I rinsed all the pieces off and then repeated the process with Cow Pow mixed with Chicken Dust.

From there they went onto the UDS set to cruise at 185 with the use of my handy dandy stoker. :thumb:

After about 3 hours the pieces hit an internal of 140. I pulled them and let them rest on sheet for 30 minutes uncovered before wrapping them up. I've heard this cooking process can be very important to keep the fish from turning to mush.

I have to say, I was extremely pleased with the results. The flavor was superb and there was no mushiness to the meat at all. My friend was ecstatic with the results and is now on the hunt (literally) for something else for me to smoke. I will admit. I took a larger portion of this than I did of the bear meat but, it's smoked salmon, I couldn't resist. :becky:
Thanks for looking!

That looks great Tom! We get salmon out here year round. I smoke it, grill it, turn it into Lox, etc. Salmon is just really darned good! We don't get much Bear, Moose, Elk or Bison though.... :)

That looks great Tom! We get salmon out here year round. I smoke it, grill it, turn it into Lox, etc. Salmon is just really darned good! We don't get much Bear, Moose, Elk or Bison though.... :)

I would love to smoke more of it but, when it comes to water born vittles, unless it's shrimp, I refuse to smoke ones that have been frozen. When it comes to fish, fresh is best. :thumb:

Looks great! :thumb:

I always do a wet brine/cure but I just happen to have some Pig Pollen left...:idea:

Guess you will be getting an order from me soon too.:mrgreen:

Back