You say a leg of Lamb tastes Gamey

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I see this often on this site and I just got to wondering.
Are you Folks removing the Musk Gland when you get hold of a leg of lamb.
The gland roasted in, makes the lamb very strong.
Just wondering.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3P4nNMGYks"]The Gland in Leg of Lamb⎢Martha Stewart - YouTube[/ame]

Some say it makes no difference, I remove it when I remember as I am often cooking for Dutchies that find lamb strong

I always forget. Don't seem to notice a strong flavor. I usually buy boned out legs from costco, i'm wondering if they remove it. Anyone know if they do?

Wow Titch, now you have me thinking. I love lamb, but usually grilled chops at restaurants because my wife HATES lamb due to an experience we had with a roasted whole leg of lamb that was way to strong and musky. She went away with a dishwater taste in her mouth and I've not been able to convince her to try again. I'm wondering if it might be this gland, but if nothing else I might be able to use it as an excuse to get here to try it again if I remove the gland and cook one on the smoker/grill.

I did not know about this. Thanks Titch! Although, I've never thought lamb leg tasted "Gamey" at all. Will need to check the difference on the next cook. If I remember.:grin:

Much of the flavor of lamb is based on diet more specifically the grasses they are feed.Lamb is well endowed with red myoglobin including a characteristic odor and flavor that becomes more pronounced with age.Pasture feeding, particularly on alfalfa and clover, increases the levels of a compound called skatole, which also contributes a barnyardy element to pork flavor, while lambs finished on grain for a month before slaughter are milder.

Goats & Deer have the same gland, If you kill yer own there is also a Musk gland on the inside of the hind legs just above the knee. I cut those out before I bleed 'em.

Much of the flavor of lamb is based on diet more specifically the grasses they are feed.Lamb is well endowed with red myoglobin including a characteristic odor and flavor that becomes more pronounced with age.Pasture feeding, particularly on alfalfa and clover, increases the levels of a compound called skatole, which also contributes a barnyardy element to pork flavor, while lambs finished on grain for a month before slaughter are milder.

I agree. I have tried purely grass fed beef against grain fed beef, and for my taste buds, the grass fed beef has a stronger, almost livery taste. I have found this true in deer as well. Their diet makes a huge difference in whether I can eat venison. I have never been a fan of lamb. I have had a few racks of lamb that I could get down, but I can't say I have ever really enjoyed the meat.

i've always thought lamb tastes the same way a sheep barn smells. I'll still eat lamb, but it seems to depend a lot of the quality of meat to me. Appreciate the tips, though. :-D

I've roasted 2 legs in the oven (at different times) and threw them both out because they were so gamey!

I love venison although I've never roasted a whole leg.

Martha Stuart? I thought Crock Dundee would have done that one holding a cold Fosters!

But seriously. Good video and info. I've never had sheep (Cows and pigs keep getting in the way) but had a lot of deer meat and wild boar. We soak the meat in milk. It turns pink as the blood is drawn out. Makes it tender and no game taste at all.

i love lamb. but the times i've done whole leg, not so much.

very well could be why. thanks titch!

Martha Stuart? I thought Crock Dundee would have done that one holding a cold Fosters!

But seriously. Good video and info. I've never had sheep (Cows and pigs keep getting in the way) but had a lot of deer meat and wild boar. We soak the meat in milk. It turns pink as the blood is drawn out. Makes it tender and no game taste at all.

I actually brined a leg in buttermilk a while back, changed the flavour a heap

Thanks, I did not know about the gland. I love the lamb flavor, but I understand it should come out. I have only roasted boneless lamb legs from Costco, curiously imported from Australia(Whoop Whoop!). I suppose the glands are removed when the bone is.

When you cook bone-in lamb leg, do you dig out the gland, or ignore it? I'm sure if you leave it in, that if you cut into the gland when you are carving it would be very "pungent"

Thanks for taking the time to teach us something very helpful.

I actually brined a leg in buttermilk a while back, changed the flavour a heap

Yeah that does change the flavor profile a lot. Have to try buttermilk next time.
We also do that with deer Toast, have gotten people to like it after a good milk soak.

Just my humble opinion, but if you soak lamb in milk... you might as well be cooking pork or beef as it loses character. That being said... eat EVERYTHING the way you want it. That is why we cook after all.

Thanks for the video. I never thought that people might leave that in. Guess we need to ask who leaves the lymph nodes in their pork butt as well.

Back