• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Myron Mixon's Cupcake Technique

Whatever. Usually to get one thing you have to sacrifice something else. If that's your thing, that's cool, it's just not mine. I dont cook anything to impress anybody else, especially judges. I cook things the way I like it....which ironically enough seems to impress lots of folks. If putting baking powder on your chicken works for you, go for it. I certainly would try some if you offered it up. But its not my thing, i like my BBQ simple. Just sayin'....

"Whatever" if that's your thing.:drama: If ya want both, take the skin off, scrape it, put it back on and cook it. Best chic you'll ever taste.

Wow, thanks everyone for all the tips! I think I am going to have a crack at using the baking powder technique this weekend.

I agree that this is all about trial and error, and fortunately, given that chicken is cheap, I can experiment more than with brisket. ;-)

Everyone on this site is striving to learn on how to cook better BBQ and if you are cooking comps, trying to learn a tip or technique that might earn them just a half a point...I have lost thousands ending up 3rd or 4th by a slime portion of a point, that why the practice to get that better score.
For me even while cooking only for myself, I strive to have a tasty dish. A couple years ago on a Sunday, fighting last nights Tequela party, I did a half dozen chicken halve and i was toooo hung over to spend the time triming chicken...and it was the worst chicken I made, tasting all that fat and crap that should have been trimned...
The bottom line is use these ideas, some will work and most will not, but the ones that will work for you will yield better results, for yourself, your friends and hopefully the judges...who are those dang judges anyhow???

Sorry, I'm not a fan of these "turn-in-box" fabrications. Chicken is chicken, not a muffin.

I personally cook the "Chicken Meatballs" because they are uniform and that is it. I de-bone them, cook them skin side down in the muffin pan, and they come out great. I also think that I get marked down down for cooking them that way. I have since changed it to the chicken/butter pan method.

People cook how they feel comfortable cooking. If that means "chicken meatballs" then go for it.

You might want to make a “finishing” rub by mixing your regular rub with some baking powder. When you take the chicken out of the pan sprinkle the fishing rub on when you set the skin on the smoker before you sauce it.
IMHO the idea in comp chicken is to keep the product as moist as possible and that is going to work against you. As stated before – just keep trying different things.

John, I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting about the baking powder. I made the chicken cupcakes tonight, and mixed baking powder into the rub. Those were THE best chicken thighs I have ever had in my life. They actually crunched when I bit into them. I'll be doing these again very soon! :hug:

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
Back