Never Cut Wood... But built a Table (w/pics)

Thanks for that info. Currently the game plan is to stain the table. I plan to use some color of the Cabot Australian Timber Oil and I will let this table sit for at least three weeks before I put the kamado in it.

You CAN stain or seal right away, but if there's a lot of moisture in the wood, then you won't get good penetration of the stain/sealer. As speers90 said, it's best to let it dry.

The BEST way to get the wood to dry and to remove the moisture is to set it out in direct sun. I've built decks before where we pushed the deck boards as tight as we could and before we were done with the job the very next day, there were already spaces between the planks due to drying/shrinking.

Sit it out in the direct sunlight and in a pretty short period of time you'll notice less moisture, even to the touch. It's also the sun that will make the wood start to "gray". If you're going to be keeping it out of the sunlight most of the time, then you COULD stain it later around the Big Joe....just be careful not to get stain on the cooker. You can control the stain better by using a rag to both apply and remove excess instead of a brush.

Nice work by the way.

And.....do you mean to tell me that, having never cut wood, you went out and bought THAT saw? Great taste in both cookers AND tools John! :thumb:

And.....do you mean to tell me that, having never cut wood, you went out and bought THAT saw? Great taste in both cookers AND tools John! :thumb:

That saw was my cheapest option for what I wanted to do. I paid $97 for that at Harbor Freight. I figured it was my best option for getting straight cuts...

Kamado-08.jpg

I got the hole cut with a cheap jigsaw so now we just have to wait until the wood dries out enough to stain it...

Great job!

Umm, I just bought the cheapest option myself, the 10" HF Compound sliding miter saw, and just finished up a little kitchen woodwork. I also invested in a finish grade blade for it, worth every penny. I am inspired to do a few other things I have been meaning to do. First will be a cornhole board set, then Maybe a table like yours just for a little prep area in the backyard.

Like wampus said, a couple days sitting in sun like that and it will be good to stain!

Sounds good :) Maybe I can get away with staining it next weekend. It's been sitting out in the sun for two days now. We have some rain in the forecast for the next three days starting on Sunday but the rest of the week currently looks clear and it can get some more sun.

That saw was my cheapest option for what I wanted to do. I paid $97 for that at Harbor Freight. I figured it was my best option for getting straight cuts...
I bought the 12" version prior to building a shed. I've used it a few times since and having something like that is GREAT!

Another of my favorite power tools is a 4 1/2" Makita angle grinder. (My son has the HF version and I do not recommend it!) I've found a lot of uses for that.

BTW, nice work on the table. For a first project it looks very good. It took me a lot longer to get things to look like that. :wink:

I bought the 12" version prior to building a shed. I've used it a few times since and having something like that is GREAT!

Another of my favorite power tools is a 4 1/2" Makita angle grinder. (My son has the HF version and I do not recommend it!) I've found a lot of uses for that.

BTW, nice work on the table. For a first project it looks very good. It took me a lot longer to get things to look like that. :wink:

Yup... I bought a 4.5" angle grinder at Walmart (Skil brand) when I built my UDS. I have used it for several other projects since then as well and I'm glad I have it around.

As for high quality tools, I'm 100% supportive of buying that stuff, but in my case, I didn't want to spend a wad of money on something I'm not sure I'll be using that much in the future. If future projects dictate a need for better equipment, I'll certainly upgrade.

Very nice table for a beginner. Since were talking tools, get a metabo grinder, will smash anything else. That said i use a HF grinder, last one i had lasted me 7 years, just bought another the other day. And the only tools that come with replacement brushes.

I put some finishing touches on the table today...

BigJoeTableStained.jpg

I stained the table with the Cabot's Australian Timber Oil in the "Mahagony Flame" color...

BigJoeTableHandle.jpg

I constructed a table end handle for moving it with a couple half inch floor flanges, street elbows, and a 24" piece of black pipe... primed and painted that and then screwed it on to the end of the table...

BigJoeTableBottleOpener.jpg

When I found this on Amazon, I simply could not resist :)

Back