• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WTF is up with Tri Tip these days?

I think Bobby Flay had something to do with the popularity of it. He uses it quite often on his show "BBQ addict"

I go to the butcher, and ask for it, and they look at me cross eyed? I'm not smart enough to explain it to them.
Not sure if you can get them to watch a YouTube video but if you watch this video (starting at 9:05) it shows how to cut a Tri-Tip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I22FodX885c"]The True Story of Santa Maria Style BBQ.mov - YouTube[/ame]

I remember when I could get a rack of spares tor 1.50 and 5 Lb bag of wings for 2.50 If it makes you feel better subtract 43% form the price to get the tru cost since a yankee dollar is only worth 57 cents.

I've only seen one in my life here, and it was like $10 a lb. several years ago. That's why I've never tried it.

From the university meat sales here, it is currently $7.19/#. A year and a half ago, it was $2.89/#.

If there's a restaurant depot near you get it there in bulk. I got it in Alexandria, VA for 3.99 a pound for trimmed choice. Oh yeah, they were enormous too!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I get it for 3.29lb all day long for Choice. our local Staters sells select for 5.99 trimmed or untrimmed.

This forum may be partially to blame for the high price. There is a fair amount of tri-tip worship going on here.

I have never had tri-tip that I actually liked, but I'm guessing it is because I got it at big events in tri-tip country, so it probably wasn't choice meat, and wasn't cooked properly.

It is hard to find here, and pricey, so I haven't taken the plunge. I don't want to pay a bunch of money for "popular" food. My understanding is that proper tri-tip is really good working-class beef. That's what I want.

CD

Oh yeah well I have one thing to say to that "Louisiana Crawfish Tail Meat $20/lb"

Fark, crawfish is even expensive live, anymore. My last boil was ridiculous.

I'm guessing tri-tip is suffering a similar "popularity tax."

CD

Always been $7.99/lb where I live. Usually grab a $20-21 for use.
5914937547_7d17e47624_z.jpg

I saw themat Kroger last week first time I have ever seen them in these part of the woods

last night i went to one of my favorite stores and they had untrimmed(i like the fat)
tri tip for $2.99 a lb.

$4.49/lb here for select, but they do a nice job of trimming it up, so it's mostly meat.

Yeah, I get it at C&C also when feeding a crowd. Costco for just The Family. Thing is I grew up on The Central Coast and have eaten 10,000 times my weight in tri tip so it's not my favorite cut. I'm going to The Central Coast this weekend and may pick up a load of red oak. My stash is getting used up.

Back