2012 Great Lenexa BBQ Battle, Lenexa KS, June 22nd

smokindave74

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys, not a roll call, as it is a little early. Just an off the wall question/request.

I hail from Minnesota, but have two buddies in Kansas, and we are getting together for a guys get-together in KC for some beer, BBQ and golf, etc on that same weekend. They are not BBQ competitors, but are pretty into eating it and doing the backyard thing. They want to attend the 2012 Lenexa BBQ Battle on Friday June 22nd, since we will be in town. They want to see what the competition experience is really like.

I told them that the comp. scene on a Friday night can be a little different than what you would expect, if you are just the public in attendance vs. a competitor. Especially on Friday night, when the teams are getting set up and having their private gatherings.

Just wondering if there are any brethren that are competing that would not mind if we visited your site to meet you talk a little bbq. If would make it more fun for them, rather than just hanging out at the beer garden and watching a band.

If so, could you please let me know your team name sometime in the next few weeks, and we will try and swing by that evening.

Thanks so much,

SmokinDave

Last edited:
Dave -

sent you an IM related to this. You're welcome to swing by our spot, but as you point out, Friday night at the Great Lenexa event is far from typical when it comes to comp bbq.

Your guys are just as likely to witness a fist fight, a partier passed out near the lake or an arrest by the local PD as they are to observe a great technique for injecting a pork butt.

Thanks Steve. We will try and make it by. As it is still a ways away, plans always change, but my friends want to see some bbq action, so I think we will come and check it out. Should be fun to take a tour around the sites and the beer garden at least.

The Lenexa BBQ is a good time, especially if you have people to hang out with. I am always amazed at all the people that just come to walk around in a big circle.

Back