Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Bellevue, NE

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Whose going? Is it a good contest? Is water still an issue on I-29? I'm thinking of making a last minute run up to it, but not sure. It would be my 12 y/o daughter and I doing a Dad / Daughter trip.

We will be cooking it. Water on I-29 is still a big problem! Will probably add atleast an hour and a half to your trip! The original site of this contest is under water,so they have changed locations.

Waterloo Ia would be closer for you. As well La Porte City, which is 15mi south of Waterloo, is the next day.
Not sure if there are opening at either though.

with what has happened with the payout and extra fees with this contest in the last couple of days I wouldnt cook this contest at all! If I hadnt of already paid my entry fees I would definately be headed to Waterloo and Laporte City again! This contest has turnt into a JOKE!

The original event location was Hayworth Park (a camp ground), when the competition was happening there they applied a $40 dollar charge to bring any equipment out an place in your spot on Thursday night. Which was understandable at that location because Im sure the campground was charging them for that additional night of camping, so it was not a big deal. When the river got high Hayworth Park was flooded before anything else, so they decided a few weeks ago to move the contest to Bellevue College to enable the Competition to continue. That was great, everyone was happy until the packets came out this Week. The Packets clearly stated that anyone placing anything in there sites would be charged $40, I also started adding up the Prize money in the Packet which came up $500 dollars short of the advertised amount on the KCBS website. Last night I emailed her wondering if the packet didnt get changed from when the comp. was being held at Hayworth Park, and that the Prize money was not adding up. I got a smart a** reply back from the organizer stating that the $40 dollars was going to follow over to the parking lot of the College due to liability issues, and that they lost a sponsor for some ancillary contest they were going to have so were dropping the payout $500. I then became defensive and emailed her what I thought of there frivalous fee's and told her why her team count went from 80 teams to 35. the reasons being there frivalous fees and the fact that they canceled there contest last year due to flooding, and people had to get KCBS involved to get paid there fees back! She then got more defensive and claimed I had no idea of the "insight" involved with a competition! Luckily rumor has it she will be leaving the Bellevue Chamber of Commerce and someone else will be taking it over next year!

Sounds like it will be an intersting weekend for you Matt. Good luck!

. I then became defensive and emailed her what I thought of there frivalous fee's and told her why her team count went from 80 teams to 35. the reasons being there frivalous fees and the fact that they canceled there contest last year due to flooding, and people had to get KCBS involved to get paid there fees back! She then got more defensive and claimed I had no idea of the "insight" involved with a competition! Luckily rumor has it she will be leaving the Bellevue Chamber of Commerce and someone else will be taking it over next year!

This is why we are not coming this year. I have the weekend off. It was my backup contest if I didn't make it to the next round in Sam's Club. Came in 11th :sad:. Last year they canceled the contest two weeks before it was suppose to happen. I thought they would send the refund check immediately. Four weeks after the contest was suppose to happen and six weeks after they canceled I still had not received my refund check. They kept giving me a lame excuse that the person was on vacation. Then the person had surgery. Then the person had complications from surgery and would be gone longer. I told them you got to be kiding me, you are the Chamber of fricken Commerce and only one person can write checks? I call BS. I called the KCBS office and my check appeared in two days. Since they moved it to the university, we have no desire to cook in a hot parking lot again. I would call the KCBS office and let them know they changed the posted payout, THEY CAN'T DO THAT. KCBS could pull the sanctioning if they change the advertised payouts. Good luck this weekend and stay cool.

Chris

We used to love the contest. It was in a campground and you could take golf carts (allowed in Nebraska campgrounds) which was nice because of the distance to the bands, food etc.
They quickly stopped letting people bring the carts, which I kind of understood. Then we see kids joy ridding around on the contest carts which spoiled the safety reasoning behind no carts.

The waiting two weeks before cancelling last year was a joke. We understand cancelling because of flooding. But any thought that the water would reside and they could clean up the park in time for the contest was rediculous. And if they were looking for another location, just tell everyone.

Back