Injecting Brisket with Fat

Chipper

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone tried rendering fat or using bacon or some other fat to inject into briskets? We have been discussing it and it seems like a fine idea. Which is why it probably isn't.

I've had the thought for a long time but I've never done it.
Watching with interest here...

Seems injecting pork fat into a beef product is asking trouble.

Also I wonder about the viscosity of the rendered fat having issues working evenly through the meat and potentially creating pockets within certain sections.

Just my .02. Certainly worth a try to check out how it affects the flavor profile.

Larding is a classic technique for things like beef tenderloin and mutton legs. I suspect that most of it would render out on a long cook.

I've been thinking about this at well. One of the factors would be having good rendered beef fat and keeping it at a hot enough temp to pass through an injector easily which also means that the internal meat temp would have to either be higher or about the same as the liquid. So if i were going to do it, I would do it in the middle of the cooking process @ about 120 degrees or so. I don't really know if it'd work, and I haven't got motivated to try it yet, but that's whats rattling around in my head?

I've been thinking about this at well. One of the factors would be having good rendered beef fat and keeping it at a hot enough temp to pass through an injector easily which also means that the internal meat temp would have to either be higher or about the same as the liquid. So if i were going to do it, I would do it in the middle of the cooking process @ about 120 degrees or so. I don't really know if it'd work, and I haven't got motivated to try it yet, but that's whats rattling around in my head?

If you were going to do it hot you'd need beef tallow which melts around 114 degrees F. You'd need an all stainless injector with hi temp seals.

Plenty of fat in them already. What I like to do is inject FLAVOR into them.

Never tried this...but...

Have you ever been to a contest and their are always certain teams that crush it in a certain category? It is probably because they are doing something that the other million teams are not doing.

Most teams can cook.
Most rubs are good.
Most sauces taste good.

What else are you doing to separate your product? You would be shocked if you knew what we put in our injection other than Kosmos. We have had tremendous success with brisket and it is because we never stopped experimenting.

Never stop trying and report all of your results to me only:becky:.

Have you ever been to a contest and their are always certain teams that crush it in a certain category? It is probably because they are doing something that the other million teams are not doing.

Most teams can cook.
Most rubs are good.
Most sauces taste good.

What else are you doing to separate your product? You would be shocked if you knew what we put in our injection other than Kosmos. We have had tremendous success with brisket and it is because we never stopped experimenting.

From my observations all the rubs, injections and sauces are similar. I think the entry with perfectly cooked and presented meat usually wins. I think gimics can only hurt you.

Most teams can cook.
Most rubs are good.
Most sauces taste good.

I think you would be shocked at how simple some of the winning recipes are.

Injecting with fat is great! Adds flavor and moisture, just dont overdue it because it will get greasy.

Like this?

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

I had the same idea a few years back, tried duck fat and found it mostly a waste of time. Starting with good quality and knowing when it's done worked much better - for me.

i injected a whole lot of bacon fat into a pork but thinking everybody likes bacon right. well it just cooked out with no flavor of bacon left in it.
won't be doing that again :doh::doh:

I think the idea definitely has merit. For folks that don't want to spend the money on Wagyu or Primes, but want the fat.. or folks that only have access to crappy Walmart selects.
If you start with beef fat and add your seasonings and such while hot and inject just before it cools to solid....and can get it injected in strands instead of big pools..
I have somewhat decent access to primes, so I don't worry about the fat content, but in a pinch, I'd give 'er a shot.

Back