Grand Champion Trophy Belt.

bearnakedbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I think these belts are really cool and I am looking at getting a BBQ Grand Champion Belt from Wildcat belts. This belt will be a (5) plate belt. The (4) side plates will be used to represent 4 major BBQ events. The Grand Champion from each event will have their team name engraved on the side plate. Goal is to reuse this belt for several years.

My thought is that the Grand Champion of our first event would get this belt, until our next big event. If this team doesn’t win the Grand Champion at the next event then he or she would present it to the new Grand Champion. And so on. At the end of the year the team that had the best average over the 4 events will then be the "Alaska Grand Champion". This team will get to keep the belt until the 1st major event of the next year.

Am I making sense?

Question is how do I keep someone from keeping the belt and not returning it?

troy

I think these belts are really cool and I am looking at getting a BBQ Grand Champion Belt from Wildcat belts. This belt will be a (5) plate belt. The (4) side plates will be used to represent 4 major BBQ events. The Grand Champion from each event will have their team name engraved on the side plate. Goal is to reuse this belt for several years.

My thought is that the Grand Champion of our first event would get this belt, until our next big event. If this team doesn’t win the Grand Champion at the next event then he or she would present it to the new Grand Champion. And so on. At the end of the year the team that had the best average over the 4 events will then be the "Alaska Grand Champion". This team will get to keep the belt until the 1st major event of the next year.

Am I making sense?

Question is how do I keep someone from keeping the belt and not returning it?

troy

Being honest I think that most teams will want a trophy of their own. I think if a team won, you would have a difficult time getting it back and be more trouble than it's worth.

I think you would have to create a new belt each year. The following year, the last winner can present a new belt to the winner (if there is a new winner). Like Sawdustguy said, most people want to keep it.

I think it's a great idea but yes - I also think that the overall winner at the end of the season should be able to keep it.

So the belt could be used for the 4 events and the overall winner of 2011 would keep the belt? Sounds like a good idea. Was just thinking if we used the same belt for several year it would save a few $$ and I like the idea on have ten years worth of names on the trophy. Kind of like the Stanley Cup, they don't get to keep it.

I understand everyones concerns and comments. I agree it would be better to get a new one each year.

So how do I ensure that the Grand Champ from the first event will hand over the belt over at the next event. Sign a contract?

So the belt could be used for the 4 events and the overall winner of 2011 would keep the belt? Sounds like a good idea. Was just thinking if we used the same belt for several year it would save a few $$ and I like the idea on have ten years worth of names on the trophy. Kind of like the Stanley Cup, they don't get to keep it.

I understand everyones concerns and comments. I agree it would be better to get a new one each year.

So how do I ensure that the Grand Champ from the first event will hand over the belt over at the next event. Sign a contract?

I still think you are setting yourself up for a parcel of greif by using the belt for more than one event. I wonder how many teams would want to give up a belt that they were presented as the winner of a contest to the winner of the next contest. Remember lots of teams like to display their trophy's at each contest. I don't think they will be happy when asked to return something they have won and displayed.

Totally agree with Sawdustguy... I wouldn't give the belt back :heh:

No doubt, it's a piece worthy of a "travel" trophy, but I'm really, really glad we got to keep ours.

There has been a long running 1 day contest here with a travelling trophy with the winners names engraved on plaques. Well this year the organizers decided they don't want to sponsor the event, so I'm curious if the last years winner is going to keep it or not?

Personally, I'd rather have the checks than one of those belts. I'd have to display it next to my Lazer engraved granite "Cheese tray" trophy from Yakima!

What of a team from let's say Illinois comes to Alaska... I win. I wont be at the next contest.... vthen what?

And contracts are only as good as your legal counsel and how much you are willing to pay to get it back. Wouldn't be cheap

just ask cookers don't tell fibs. dang it

You could have a big one made that you can display that has all the winners' names on it and then make smaller ones (or something just as unique) to give the teams.

Andy and Todd won a contest that the trophy was a belt + cash. What they did was use the winnings to make a second belt. This way each of them have a trophy. It is still one of the most unique trophies we have. There is NO WAY that they would want to give that up.

It's a neat idea, but I think you'd have a hard time getting whatever team won the thing to return it. Sometimes teams drop out of competing for a while, sometimes they lose awards they've won, etc.

Besides, most teams that put a lot of time, effort and $ into a comp and then Win don't really want to win an award that has an expiration date on it.

Troy, NY has a large golden pig that the winning team gets to keep for a year. People are good sports and return the pig the following year, BUT they also get a trophy for GC that they keep. People are more likely to return something like that if they also get something else that they can hang on to.

fly in the ointment here.....what I might consider is seeing what a small belt buckle would cost. Maybe 2 or 3 inches or so that I can get my own belt and wear it. I get to keep it and I would be able to wear something like that. Surly it wouldn't cost as much as the proposed belt would cost.

The way I have seen this work in other arenas, the belt is not allowed to leave the possession of the organization, you get to take pics and wear it, your name goes on it, but it doesn't go home with you. Then, a separate trophy is awarded to each winner. often a cheaper belt, a buckle or a regular trophy.

Back