Smoking a Turkey

J

joneshill

I have a question about how to position the turkey on the smoker. I have a New Braunfels offset smoker. What is the best way to position the turkey during smoking?

How do you fold the wings under? Do I place it breast down first? Breast away from the fire? Do I cover the breast with aluminum foil after a few hours?

I understand the brine, butter under the skin, etc. Really the positioning of the bird on an offset smoker is my main concern.

If you have room do it vertical. I like to do mine "beer can style" You can either use a large beer can like a Fosters or what I like to use is a large pineapple juice can. I just foil the wings and leg tips.

Just did one that past weekend ... no brine or butter ...

put it in breast side up and had it in the smoker from 10 AM till 6 PM.

Put it on a sheet pan and covered with foil and a folded bath towel for 45 minutes.

Came out juicy, tender and filled with smoky flavor.

I do breast up. If you can, try and ice down the breast with freezer bags of ice. This will keep the breast temp behind the rest of the bird, and help keep from drying out.

IMG_4640.jpg

Also, if you don't have room to go completely vertical (beer can style), try a turkey cannon! Norco turned me on to these last year. I have 2 now. Love 'em.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-TKYC-Turkey-Cannon/dp/B000GEBYQ4

You're probably smarter than me and wouldn't do this, but make sure you rotate the turkey. In my offset, the heat comes left to right. The left side of my turkey cooked and the right side didn't. To that point, I had never cooked anything that big and had never had an issue with one side cooking more than the other. Live and learn...

Roll it very tight or it will burn way to fast..........Oh you said turkey. I always rub them up will EVOO (RR mod) and coat them with Bells Seasoning, it's that little yellow box with a turkey on the front. Coat the inside heavy with it also and i also put some citrus quarters inside the bird, orange, lemon and limes, really give off a fresh flavor. On to the smoking and i try to maintain at temp of about 300 with a lot of hickory for flavor, if the breast is getting too dark tent it with foil. Thigh temp hits 160 + a few I pull it and put in a aluminum tray and wrap it tight for at least 30 minutes. Good luck and enjoy

Back