Bratwurst Customer Appreciation Cook ~ Follow Up

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
About 3 weeks I asked for Bratwurst suggestions in THIS THREAD and wanted to share the results.

We decided to cook 4 batches, roughly 60 each and with the smoker at 300° they took about 40 minutes. We simmered 3 pans of sliced onions in butter with a little Tabasco on the top rack for about 20 minutes, then added those to a Nesco roaster with beer/water for holding. Both the brats and the onions had a great flavor. There were probably 125 guests and 30 employees.

Mustards on hand were 'hot and spicy', 'sweet and spicy', 'horseradish' and plain yellow. There was also ketchup, sweet relish, and pickled onions. Sides were potato salad & coleslaw... and there were some trays of cookies. I didn't realize how popular ketchup was, we went through one bottle in the first 90 minutes and had to open another.

BZ1aLQ9.jpg

qL8YVFM.jpg

Here are a few action photos.

aTmXoPm.jpg

musKjro.jpg

As you can see, shade was at a premium

T1sAVaj.jpg

3tchQ9m.jpg

s0wqg7v.jpg

Cook's testing

yWAfUqV.jpg

FNHA0so.jpg

Serving area

3d26Zve.jpg

Looks like everything went great! Heck of a spread that you put out

Wow! Looks like a deliciously successful shindig from here.

Bravo Zulu!

nice lookin' grub! I just did brats for my team the other day (sous vide, then quick trip on the kettle to brown up). didn't think to do pickled onions, though...would have been good.

a little spicy mustard and pickled red onion is hard to beat.

nice lookin' grub! I just did brats for my team the other day (sous vide, then quick trip on the kettle to brown up). didn't think to do pickled onions, though...would have been good.

Both the flavor and the crunch of the pickled onions was great.

I do love a good smoked Brat... :thumb:

Looks great! Where did you find the Johnsonville Brat's in bulk packs like that?

Looked like a nicely cooked sauce-siege.

No sauerkraut?

Looks great! Where did you find the Johnsonville Brat's in bulk packs like that?

We ordered them from Sam's Club and they came frozen.

Looked like a nicely cooked sauce-siege.

No sauerkraut?

We nixed the sauerkraut, but there were white onions in the beer/butter bath which some people liked over the pickled red onions.

Back