• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Another Cambro Question

Cast Iron Chef

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Is a Cambro with a heating element illegal in comps? Can you heat it without the meat and unplug it when meat goes in? Is it better to just remove during comps?

It can't be on when the meat is in. Personally I would remove it to avoid any questions. I have never needed to preheat my Cambro.

Speaking in terms of KCBS:

Not while meat is in the Cambro.

Yes.

That's between you and reps at individual competitions.

dmp

Thanks guys that's what I had thought. Would be nice to have for catering and remove for comps.

A pan of boiled water in the bottom location will solve this problem with no question.

Hi,

I just heard from someone at Cambro who was kind enough to offer a solution to any concerns regarding the heating of the Cambro without plugging it in. They make whats called a Camwarmer that you heat up and slip into the bottom slot. That might work better than hot water and the possibility of it sloshing around and such.

The recommended heating method is putting the Camwarmer in an oven at 350 for 45 minutes. I'm sure that there are other methods for those that don't have ovens at comps (looking at you pellet people!).

We will be reviewing the Cambrow UPCH400 in the next issue of Smoke Signals. Look for it in June.

Eric

IF you heat that camwarmer on your pit... i guess that would be legal... but if you heated it with an outside source... that's questionable...

Bottom line - I've never needed a warmer in my cambro...

IF you heat that camwarmer on your pit... i guess that would be legal... but if you heated it with an outside source... that's questionable...

I have it on the authority of a current member of the KCBS BOD that it doesn't matter how your hot item is heated, as long as it is not electrical, gas, (or chemical) itself. IE, you can heat something on an LP burner and then transport that into a Cambro. Boiled water is a prime example. That opens some questions in my over-analytical, scientific mind, but I'll save those for November ;-)

dmp

Interesting... Thanks for the info...

Meanwhile... I've still never needed a warmer in my cambro

Just to clarify the warmer I'm looking at is built into the door. It is supposed to be easy to remove with screws. I wanted the warmer for catering and the box for comps. Not sure I can afford the used one anyway. The do have a regular 300mpc as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about removing the heating element. If it does what you want, see if the plug can be removed. If not, just tie it with a zip tie, put masking tape over the prongs, and police yourself. If you aren't cheating, don't be ashamed.

dmp

Back