I think I've found it... No More rubbery Skin??

KnucklHed BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Soooo, been playing around with some new ways (to me) of eliminating that damn rubbery sweat-band skin on chicken thighs...

And I think I've hit it! Best results I've had yet!

I know that there are others out there that have discovered the trick so I am going to post a few pics to prove that the skin on my thighs is literally "bite tender" and I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts on what I did to make it so...

I want to know: Based on the pics, does the skin on these look comp worthy?

Here's the break down:

These thighs smoked for 4 1/2 hours on the traeger between 175 - 195* (it's 14* outside, I was doing good to keep it that high without going too high)

I used an ingredient and a process to get this right. The skin is not crispy like a grilled or finished "hot" thigh.

The thighs came out @ a max temp of 155*

The meat was like butter and slightly pinkish red inside. Exactly like you expect it to be when it's it's been done slo & lo.

In most cases the meat actually had more tooth or pull than the skin did.

All of the bites shown are a single bite, I purposely DID NOT try to clean up the bite to look better, I want an honest opinion!

There is no sauce or glaze on these thighs. Only the "process" and an ocasional shot of spritz, about 4 times, of ACV, honey, soy sauce & EVOO.

Here's the pics! I'm almost positive that my dentist could pick my bite out of a line up based on these pics alone.

DSC06993Large.jpg

DSC06996Large.jpg

DSC06992Large.jpg

3 together just to show that it wasn't a fluke.

DSC07005Large.jpg

DSC07006Large.jpg

DSC07007Large.jpg

DSC07009Large.jpg

I need to work on flavors a bit, they were pretty good, but not incredible like they need to be. I expiremented with a few different combinations, some were close, but need to be tweeked.

Thanks for looking!!!

Please give me your BRUTALY honest feedback! Judges aren't kind and I don't expect you to be either!! :biggrin:

Ryan, what you have there is "bite-through" skin, It's still rubbery but not crisp. May I suggest a high heat finish over the coals?

Hmm, I can positively say that I don't think it's rubbery at all... When I think rubbery, I picture not quite done floppy bacon... this is very tender skin that disolves into the bite of chicken so that all you get is the flavor of the rub and the mostly rendered fat of the skin...

Like I said, it's not crisp, but it's tender enough that all you notice is that it's so tender that you didn't have to try to bite through it... I'm afraid that if I tried to hit it with high heat I would burn the sugars in the rub... besides, WHAT FREAKIN COALS WOULD I USE IN MY PELLET POOPER???!! :biggrin::biggrin: It chits rabbit food for god's sake!!!

Besides, don't judges automatically think that if your skin is crispy that you either: 1) served them grilled chicken or 2) cranked the heat up, crossed your fingers and hoped that the skin would turn out way less rubbery than I actually was/is??

Sled, I want to have your baby. If that were physically possible. And I didin't have to take it in the Boo-Tay in order to make it happen.
All the gay stuff aside, I would carry it for 9 months and then break water in the front seat of your car.

It seems like I've probably gone too far... again. I'm partially sorry. That is to say, I almost feel regret. For not having said this sooner.

Keep it commin peeps! I need more!! :lol:

Hmm, I can positively say that I don't think it's rubbery at all... When I think rubbery, I picture not quite done floppy bacon... this is very tender skin that disolves into the bite of chicken so that all you get is the flavor of the rub and the mostly rendered fat of the skin...

Like I said, it's not crisp, but it's tender enough that all you notice is that it's so tender that you didn't have to try to bite through it... I'm afraid that if I tried to hit it with high heat I would burn the sugars in the rub... besides, WHAT FREAKIN COALS WOULD I USE IN MY PELLET POOPER???!! :biggrin::biggrin: It chits rabbit food for god's sake!!!

Besides, don't judges automatically think that if your skin is crispy that you either: 1) served them grilled chicken or 2) cranked the heat up, crossed your fingers and hoped that the skin would turn out way less rubbery than I actually was/is??

Sled, I want to have your baby. If that were physically possible. And I didin't have to take it in the Boo-Tay in order to make it happen.
All the gay stuff aside, I would carry it for 9 months and then break water in the front seat of your car.

It seems like I've probably gone too far... again. I'm partially sorry. That is to say, I almost feel regret. For not having said this sooner.

Wait son, I edited my post. I realized the errors of my ways! HO, HO, HO! :-D

Next time, can you wait until until you get the chix off the grill before you start chowing down? :lol:

Edit: You can quote me now. :p

Last edited:
Want crispy skin? Here is how it is done by one of the teams who perform very well in chicken category: [URL]http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq-contests/894-award-winning-competition-chicken.html[/URL]

Great link! Thanks, I'll be looking over all the suggestions there!

Wait son, I edited my post. I realized the errors of my ways! HO, HO, HO! :-D

Next time, can you wait until until you get the chix off the grill before you start chowing down? :lol:

Edit: Now you can quote me. :p

As I was posting the pics, I was thinking, "man, NOBODY likes to see half eatten food, why the crap am I posting this??" Then I realized I didn't care and clicked submit. BTW - I waited 15 min before chowing into the 2nd batch just to see how they would be when the judges tried em'. so there.:tongue:

"And I quote, "you can quote me on that." Unquote"

Great link! Thanks, I'll be looking over all the suggestions there!

As I was posting the pics, I was thinking, "man, NOBODY likes to see half eatten food, why the crap am I posting this??" Then I realized I didn't care and clicked submit. BTW - I waited 15 min before chowing into the 2nd batch just to see how they would be when the judges tried em'. so there.:tongue:

"And I quote, "you can quote me on that." Unquote"

Did you burn any face hair off like "Mondo" in blazing saddles?

The thighs look awesome!! It took me 3 reads to find the ingredients/process, though. Guess I got distracted...

Only if we can post pics of the food from the baby shower. I dont want upset the others

Back