Mice in the grill

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I have a gasser that gets used once a month or so. Well, a few weeks back I went to grill some fish, and upon firing up the grill I noticed a couple of mice running out of the grill. Upon further investigation, I found about 15 of them had built a full-blown apartment underneath the racks. There was so much dirt and mulch and other bedding that I couldn't get the burners to light. I cleaned it out, chased off the mice, and burned it for 45 minutes.

Well, I go out on the deck today and see a mouse scampering away from the grill. Sure enough, they are back.

Any tips on how to keep them out of the grill? I don't use the grill much, obviously, but like it when I'm in a hurry to get something going. Having to clean out the mice and their house eliminates the get going quickly part, so I'm getting frustrated.

Put a bees nest in there instead! :)

How about blocking off the holes with duct tape and using a weed burner.

I'd put a bait station underneath the grill with Difethialone, Difenacoum, or Bromethalin in it.

Too bad we don't have an Integrated Pest Management/Animal Pathologist expert on the board... Calling TexasAggie...

Put up some baited traps at the base of the grill. Dead mice build no nests! You could also use some aluminum tape to seal up the entrance and give it a good disinfecting.

Is there anything left to smoke after you skin and gut em?:biggrin:

Go to a hunting store and get you some Bobcat Urine, it scares the hell out of mice and rats and the never come back, we use it on the dock lines and dock around our boat and it works great, smells a little like a skunk, not real bad though

Feed them some of Shane's brisket. That'll run them off for good. :) (sorry Shane, couldn't resist).

I've found the same a few times over the years. And frogs were a recent issue getting in via the rottisserie holes on the sides. I seeled them up with balls of aluminum foil. No more frogs!

I'm thrilled the BGE closes up completely so no worries with it.

I'm surprised no one has told me to sell the gasser, as that was my first choice. I'll go out and kill what I can and look into putting some traps nearby. I have a dog that doesn't do jack with the mice, but she'll probably get caught in the traps...

I will plug the holes with something, but I've found mice quite able to chew through most things.

I use a Ratzapper. I just turn it on and leave it where ever I find mice or rats. It takes care of the problem quickly. I use Reese's Peanut butter cups and it seems to draw them in one after another.

Back