The long-awaited Imperial Kamado restoration project :)

Yep, what they said. Great restoration:clap2::clap2:

Great job and great thread.

I read somewhere on this forum that the loss of the imperialkamado.com website was a shame, because all of Mako's restoration secrets were on there (ie: how to repair the earthenware, etc).

I just wanted to let you all know that business operations for Imperial Kamado was transferred over to Kamado King Inc a couple years ago. I have all of Mako's Imperial restorations secrets, as well as a full history of the Imperial Kamado, and will be transferring this stuff over to our new site, www.kamadobbq.com

This is being done to "preserve" all of this lost information and history of imperial kamado. Please be patient with me, as this will take some time. I am busy setting up the new site with other features. We do have a BLOG section for Q&A on Imperial Kamado History, so feel free to stop by and drop us a comment. Augie will get back to you. He is the owner and opened his first imperial kamado stores in 1974.

Well, that's all, I just thought I would share the update.

Happy grilling , and great site! -Justin Kamado King Inc.

Hi guys.

I'm back and so is the pot. It's been almost four years since my last post. Not much has happened since then. Kids have grown and the kamado is still in frequent use.

I bought a table/cart for it a year ago, or was it two years. Anyway, I assembled it a few weeks ago and had to modify it a bit so the kamado would fit in it. Made it a bit longer and tougher.

58HWLBO.jpg

uElgL9W.jpg

As you can see I never could figure out what to do with the hinge kit. I knew it would rust again if I did nothing to it. But also knew I couldn't paint it because of the moving parts. Well after four years of searching I finally found a promising product: Rust converter from CRC. It says on the label "converts frail rust to solid metal". I just had try this.

ZuwEIsM.jpg

I took a small brush and painted it on the hinge kit. Two layers. Removing only the loosest flakes of rust before applying. And I must say the end result looks pretty darn good. I'll just have to wait and see if it keeps the rust away for good.

r5mCwFP.jpg

5Fw7zry.jpg

JrPOiNE.jpg

s8CGHlS.jpg

Also been thinking about getting a gasket for this kamado. Not sure if it needs one though. It's never had one originally. What do you think? Is the gasket for insulation or just cushioning the impact of closing the lid too hard?

ps. in case you're wondering what's on the grill, well that's some genuine Tapola blood sausage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustamakkara.

Back