• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Christmas/Holiday Season Prime Rib Pron Thread 2012

They all look great!!
Greg is this the aged hunka meat? If so, how did you like it compared to non aged? It looks fantastic!! :cool::-D

Thanks Jeanie!

Yes, it is the one I've been postiong the past couple weeks. As for taste, I haven't ever done a side by side compared to non aged, but I do think the beef flavor is more pronounced. I don't know if it affects tenderness at all, but the ones I've been doing have been really tender - but that could be because they're prime grade and cooked really slow (200). One thing I keep forgetting is there's no drippings with dry aged because the moisture is all gone - the roast is still as juicy as can be though. I keep forgetting to have some beef base handy for making the au jus, so next year, if I don't forget (fat chance) I need to make the au jus up ahead of time.

photo-117.jpg

Photo1-88.jpg

Photo1-92.jpg

photo-119.jpg

Photo1-94.jpg

Love the pics y'all - keep 'em coming! :clap2:

Hey Wamp - we're gonna see the ham you did at some point, yes? :hungry:

Mmmmmmm.... Look at that crusty bark... :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb:

I was amazed with the bark that we got on our prime rib with your rub Mike. I have to admit, I stood there just peeling away little crunchy bits with fat while standing there carving. Luckily, I wasn't noticed doing this so it was MINE! ALL MINE!!!

Thanks Jeanie!

Yes, it is the one I've been postiong the past couple weeks. As for taste, I haven't ever done a side by side compared to non aged, but I do think the beef flavor is more pronounced. I don't know if it affects tenderness at all, but the ones I've been doing have been really tender - but that could be because they're prime grade and cooked really slow (200). One thing I keep forgetting is there's no drippings with dry aged because the moisture is all gone - the roast is still as juicy as can be though. I keep forgetting to have some beef base handy for making the au jus, so next year, if I don't forget (fat chance) I need to make the au jus up ahead of time.

photo-117.jpg

Photo1-88.jpg

Photo1-92.jpg

photo-119.jpg

Photo1-94.jpg

Love the pics y'all - keep 'em coming! :clap2:

Hey Wamp - we're gonna see the ham you did at some point, yes? :hungry:

Greg Thanks! :thumb:
I caught your first posts about aging and wondered if this was the same roast. Thanks for the info....hadn't thought about the lack of juice for au jus issue, good to know!
Hope to copy your method in the future. Looks delicious! :thumb::-D

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I have not posted BBQ pron in some time!! What better time than now!!

Rubbed the 5lber with punch ya daddy rub and some extra black pepper... Reverse seared at 225-250 to 115, cranked up both charcoal baskets to nuclear, seared for maybe 10 minutes. Came out GREAT!! In hindsight I need waay more charcoal cause nuclear is not nuclear enough, and need more rub for better bark. Still tasty! Pomme lambic went great with the meal too...

Done searing
Primeribdone.jpg

Plated
primeribplated.jpg

TIMMAY!! That's a purty plate, brother. Man... People behind me here at work are drooling on my shoulder. ;)
You know, I never would have thought about pairing an apple lambic beer with that, but the taste buds in my brain tell me it would work. Thanks!

Back