My first GBA contest please help!

Butt Rubb'n BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Cooking in my first contest in Plains GA. All my rib experience is with loin backs so I figured I would cook them. Someone suggested I turn in two bones per slice. Does anyone else think that is a good idea? All my research tells me everyone turn in one bone. Thanks

I'll be there judging; proudly wearing by bbq-brethren t-shirt.

Most winning entries are loin backs, 2 bones per slice. Most, not ALL, but most. A lot of the reason is the definition of tenderness in ribs. In KCBS you'll see almost all turn in 1 bone, because they define it as "bite through". The really good Cadillac cut does best here, giving the judge plenty of meat on either side to bite. MBN, MIM, GBA define the rib tenderness as "pull cleanly from the bone with only slight resistance". Most winning entries in MBN, MIM, and GBA will provide 2 bones allowing the judge to pull it apart, and pull cleanly from the bone, with only that slight resistance.

> All my research tells me everyone turn in one bone.

You're probably frequenting KCBS centric sites, ala. this one. First know that there are different sanctioning bodies. Secondly know that the different sanctioning bodies define tenderness differently.

I do see a lot of 2 bone cuts in GBA. Can't say for certain that they score any better or worse than single bones. I will tell you that GBA judges like to see a full box. That also goes for pork & loin as well. I'll be the lead contest rep at Plains. I look forward to meeting you.

MBN, MIM, GBA define the rib tenderness as "pull cleanly from the bone with only slight resistance". Most winning entries in MBN, MIM, and GBA will provide 2 bones allowing the judge to pull it apart, and pull cleanly from the bone, with only that slight resistance.

Do GBA judging classes teach the judges-to-be that they should be getting double cut ribs so that they can first "pull it apart" to test how clean it pulls from the bone and then take a bite?

Is that in the official judging criteria for GBA ribs?

Do GBA judging classes teach the judges-to-be that they should be getting double cut ribs so that they can first "pull it apart" to test how clean it pulls from the bone and then take a bite?

Is that in the official judging criteria for GBA ribs?

Your question reminds me of how my wife asks questions.

> should be getting double cut ribs so that ...

So, to answer your question as asked, No, they do not teach nor require the 2 bone method.

> they can first "pull it apart" to test how clean it pulls from the bone

However, to the broader question (with the 2 bone piece removed), YES. They define the ribs perfect tenderness as "pull cleanly from the bone with only a slight resistance". Same as MBN, and MIM, by the way. CBJ training courses teach it, and every single judges meeting before every single competition states it. Also they're taught to then squeeze the meat gently (once its been removed from the bone) between their fingers to test for tenderness. It's VERY different from KCBS.

> pulls from the bone and then take a bite?

Back to "No" again for the answer. Because, before they bite it they should squeeze it to further check for tenderness. Pull from the bone cleanly can still be a tad tough. Look for that moisture and tenderness to come shining through. Then bite.

Back to helping the first-time GBA competitor:

Just a moment, think like a judge. How do you pull the meat cleanly from the bone? The easiest way is to grab 2 bones and pull them apart. Like I said, not every winning entry has 2 bones in it, but most, who consistently score high, DO. Same in MBN, and MIM by the way. Dont just embrace their definition, force the judges by facilitating
that pull. It also, by the way, fills the ungarnished box easily. 12 ribs, cut into 6 2 bone pieces, 2 layers of 3 pieces fit very nicely in an ungarnished box.

A side note: I cant say this for all the brand new GBA judges, but most of the older GBA judges are also MBN judges, and many of those were MIM judges too...

Last edited:
Hance gives you some really good info. The only thing I would add is that in your first GBA cook, you should go with what you are confident is YOUR best ribs. If you are more confident in cooking spares rather than loin backs, go with spares. If you cook loin backs & when finished, you don't feel confident in doing 2 bone cuts, then go with single bone. A great single bone rib will beat a good 2 bone rib every time. If I get the same "pull & squeeze" from a singe bone as I get from a double bone, they will both get the same score in tenderness. Now, do 2 bone ribs sometimes make a better first impression on a judge & maybe a little edge? Sometimes yes. but I think it does moreso with male judges than female. We men tend to be in the bigger is better camp & 2 bone ribs give me more to eat. :-o

All that being said, once it meets the judge's tongue, it doesn't matter how the rib was cut. The GBA motto is "Its all about the taste" and taste gets the highest factor in your score.

Back