• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Royal Oak rocks...

kds9547

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Found this in a bag of RO lump the other day - a 5.3 oz rock. So far no foreign objects in the four bags of Cowboy I've used. I'm liking me some Cowboy (never thought I'd hear myself say that!).

Attachments

• rorock 001.jpg
    rorock 001.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 132
  • rorock 002.jpg
    rorock 002.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 133
Don't buy bags from the bottom of pallets. That's where I have seen the worst quality in all brands. As for rocks I found one in my only bag of wicked that I've had.
I wouldn't let one rock change your mind completely. R.O. Is my grilling lump and cowboy is my smoking lump. This has produced the best results for me.

I don't mind a few rocks in the charcoal flavor is good. I just don't like the flavor of Cowboy (new or old), but RO is good. I have a few other brands I buy above and like better than RO, but if the price is right I'll grab a few bags of RO.

I found a rock recently in a big bag of ROL too.

Happens.

I find small rocks in all brands of lump that I have tried. It doesn't bother me as I know the process. I prefer a couple of stones to raw bark that just flames and is gone. At least the rocks (pebbles really) retain heat.

i don't know how many bags i've used and i think i've seen near nothing in all that time. guess i'm lucky. i found near 1/2 lb of gravel in some off brand lump once. its just bound to happen cuz of the process.
if it really bothers you just send the pic to ro and they might give ya a coupon for another bag.

Last edited:
I only find rocks in the large bags of RO, still good charcoal. Although I use ozark oak at competitions and royal oak at home.

These large-scale charcoal plants probably dump the wood to be burned into the pit with front end loaders. Kind of difficult to control smaller objects that get mixed in with it.

Back