Switching To Charcoal Pan For Longer Burn

cousinconley

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hopefully this post will help those with drafty smokers. Some of you may read and say duh! But, here is my story.

I have never used a charcoal basket. My experience has been with simple fireplace and charcoal grates. Also, I have used grill woks for charcoal. I can only control drafts through the smoker to an extent...so I decided
to focus on airflow through my charcoal container. The result, I went from a 2 hour burn to a 6 ~ 7 hour burn around 275 F. If I use a larger pan, I should get a longer burn.

Picture time...
Here is my verticle smoker:

IMAG0262

This is a shot from the inside looking at the drafts through the front access and bottom air intake door. I have tried putting aluminum foil around the edges. That works some, but its a waste of foil.

IMAG0263

Here is what I have used thus far...a Franklin fireplace grate. I bought it becuase the grate spacing is just right for charcoal.

IMAG0270

Here is my $5 fireplace poker from Lowes for stirring the coals and ridding of ash.

IMAG0271

Now, here is a simple $5 charcoal pan from Academy. I mounted 4 stainless steel bolts with washers for legs. I also drilled holes in the bottom for air intake. I didn't put holes in the side. I did not want to imitate a grill wok or charcoal basket. My smoker gets enough airflow...don't need to add anymore to the charcoal.

IMAG0260

IMAG0261

I can get 5 lbs of charcoal in the pan mixed with wood chips.

IMAG0264

On a tangent, I wrapped a grate with foil as a deflector then put my cooking grate on the higher level.

IMAG0266

IMAG0268

Here is a shot through the front access door. I didn't use a charcoal chimney. I simply wadded a portion of paper sack and placed it in the top center of the pile for my starter. Although, I am not abandoning my
charcoal chimney.

IMAG0269

So, I will use the pan for smoking, and the fireplace grate for grilling. I hope someone finds this post of value. Thank you for reading.

Looks like another good way to control the intake air flow. I suspect that you will have trouble going hot and fast though.

i have a bullet style smoker like that, that has a [FONT=&quot]char[/FONT][FONT=&quot]coal pan that i modified with air holes and su[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ch, but it burns terribly slow and never builds heat, almost like its not getting enough air? it will smolder at about 180degrees and smoke like a train but wont get get. im sitting here studying your pi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]cs trying to see any differen[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ces in what i [/FONT][FONT=&quot]can do. any suggestions?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

i have a bullet style smoker like that, that has a [FONT=&quot]char[/FONT][FONT=&quot]coal pan that i modified with air holes and su[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ch, but it burns terribly slow and never builds heat, almost like its not getting enough air? it will smolder at about 180degrees and smoke like a train but wont get get. im sitting here studying your pi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]cs trying to see any differen[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ces in what i [/FONT][FONT=&quot]can do. any suggestions?[/FONT]

From my understanding, the weber bullet is pretty air tight minus the vents. My situation I tried compensating for the draftiness by reducing the airflow around the charcoal...the only other place I could do so. My goal was to get a longer burn at a steady temperature. If I was to stack an equivalent pile of coal on a grate and place it in my smoker, it would rise drastically to near 600 F. Just trial and error on my part.

In your scenario...have you tried dumping in a pile of lit coals then closing down the vents to bring down the temp? Not sure how well that would work. Some of the mods I have seen in addition to drilling the holes is placing a grate in the pan to bring the coals a bit up from the bottom of the pan...trying to increase the airflow I think.

I have a pan with a grate over the top of it, and have no air holes in the pan and I can get the temp anywhere I want it

i have a bullet style smoker like that, that has a [FONT=&quot]char[/FONT][FONT=&quot]coal pan that i modified with air holes and su[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ch, but it burns terribly slow and never builds heat, almost like its not getting enough air? it will smolder at about 180degrees and smoke like a train but wont get get. im sitting here studying your pi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]cs trying to see any differen[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ces in what i [/FONT][FONT=&quot]can do. any suggestions?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I cut out most of the bottom of the fire pan that my vertical smoker came with and set a piece of expanded metal (cut just a little larger than the piece cut out of the pan--both with an angle grinder) in it's place, opening up the bottom a lot more than just punching additional holes would have. My smoker (a larger discontinued version of a Master Forge vertical smoker from Lowes) came with just a large hole in the bottom of the fire pan "holder" (bottom body section)...I stopped that up with a large "decor magnet" from Harbor Freight Tools and installed nipples with 3/4 inch conduits on the bottom sides instead. (Drilled one inch holes for the nipples.) I did basically the same thing as a guy working with the same model who posted YouTube videos, except that he used a Weber replacement grate instead of expanded metal, and I just use sheet magnets to close/regulate the nipple conduits. In case this might be any help, he shows what he did with the nipples in his first video, which is here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRD4DxCplkE"]Master Forge Vertical Charcoal Smoker Review with UDS and ot - YouTube[/ame]

--and he shows his fire pan mod here in part three:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxyeZaNjKHo"]Master Forge Vertical Charcoal Smoker Part 3 - fire pan mod - YouTube[/ame]

Back