• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Leg of lamb!! Now at SAMs club!!

silverfinger

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Look at what I found today!!
I've never cooked one but there was no way I was going to pass this up!!

Any suggestions or thread recommendations on how to smoke this 6 pounder?

gusyru8u.jpg

e3esaqez.jpg

vusumetu.jpg

e7edesad.jpg

Those two are great!!
You can't go wrong with phrasty or the smokin Aussie when it comes to cooking lamb!!!

Many great recipes!! Thanks Brethren!!

Im thinking of throwing this in my Kamado and cooking it about the same temperature as I would BB Ribs.

The only reason for that is I would like to make sure the center is medium rare and not raw from being cooked too fast.

Ive read that some say hot and fast but with a piece of meat that thick Im afraid that it will not cook evenly if I do that.

What do you guys think?

Whatever you decide to do, just don't take it past 130 or so IT if cooking in the 325 degree range, as it will climb to a perfect medium rare after pulling it off the pit.

Thanks guerre!!!
Quick question.
What temp to you cook your ribs at?

I know it's an odd question but it will help me decide what temp I should bring my old kamado to for the lamb.

Great thing about a legt of Lamb is it can be cooked so many ways.
I cook Low until a temp of 140f/60c serving temp and do not rest.
I also cook at 180c plus /360F untill the internal temp is about 130f/55c
Then rest for an hour in a Hot esky,the fast cooked Lamb has a wonderfull skin that people fight over.
seasoning of choice is simple for us ,usually a bit of oil ,a little salt and pepper.
Sometimes we go big on the seasoning using Middle Eastern flavours.

Do you folks have Lemon Myrtle? that goes great with Lamb.
We are doing a leg today, slow,score the fat cap,I expect about 5 hour cook for a 2.5 kilo leg

Try this one ,the honey would make it superb.

http://www.heatbeads.com.au/recipe/slow-roast-leg-of-lamb/

The Chef would have to be the Top of my most admired

Ingredients:

• 1 x 2kg leg of lamb
  • 8 cloves garlic peeled cut and soaked in salt
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
  • rosemary sprigs
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 small tub honey
  • 6 lemons
  • juice of 2 lemons
Method:

Make 8 incisions in the lamb approximately 3 – 4 cm deep. Cut your garlic into little slithers and insert into incisions. Stuff rosemary sprigs into the incisions.
Season your lamb with salt, pepper and olive oil. Cook on BBQ.
In a bowl mix lemon juice and honey with sprigs of rosemary and baste lamb.
Looking for more BBQ recipes from Good Chef Bad Chef? Visit Good Chef Bad Chef recipes.
**Recipe by celebrity chef Adrian Richardson as seen on popular cooking series Good Chef Bad Chef. Image copyright Good Chef Bad Chef..

Sweet! Costco around my area brought in legs or lamb as well. I picked up two and I'm def eyeing the recipes and links posted.

Sweet! Costco around my area brought in legs or lamb as well. I picked up two and I'm def eyeing the recipes and links posted.

Yep, I've never seen them before sold like this. There was no way I was walking out without one!!

I'm excited!!

I hope my SAMs has some. Our local supermarkets want 20$ a pound for lamb...

Thanks guerre!!!
Quick question.
What temp to you cook your ribs at?

I know it's an odd question but it will help me decide what temp I should bring my old kamado to for the lamb.

I do my ribs in the 275~300 range. Unfoiled, no mop, no spritz and no sauce. Last couple BB cooks I did 325 which made some really GREAT pig honey on them.

I was trying to get my older brother to come over with his family so I could have some genie pigs to try my new cook on. Lol. Still waiting for the answer. His wife won't eat pork. A religious thing and she kind of freaks about medium rare beef. You know, the one you have to cook it till you can't find any pink and you probably would have been better off handing her a bag of beef jerky. Lol
Anyway, I asked him if she's ever ate lamb? He said no but her family cooked a goat in the ground once. I said , that's the same thing, right? He disagreed. I'm thinking goat, lamb and sheep are basically the same thing right? Or, am I wrong here?

I do my ribs in the 275~300 range. Unfoiled, no mop, no spritz and no sauce. Last couple BB cooks I did 325 which made some really GREAT pig honey on them.

I do mine at 220 the same way.
Takes about 3 to 3 1/2 hrs to get them just where I want them.

So for the lamb it might work taking my temp to 230 to 235 to get the same results your getting!!

The kamado I have, and I believe it's because the way it's insulated, I need to keep my temps lower to get the same results as others do depending what they are smoking on.

I hope that makes sense,
And thanks for taking the Time to answer my questions!!

You too Aussie and all the other Brethren that has helped out here!!! This is going to be a real fun cook!!!

I was trying to get my older brother to come over with his family so I could have some genie pigs to try my new cook on. Lol. Still waiting for the answer. His wife won't eat pork. A religious thing and she kind of freaks about medium rare beef. You know, the one you have to cook it till you can't find any pink and you probably would have been better off handing her a bag of beef jerky. Lol
Anyway, I asked him if she's ever ate lamb? He said no but her family cooked a goat in the ground once. I said , that's the same thing, right? He disagreed. I'm thinking goat, lamb and sheep are basically the same thing right? Or, am I wrong here?
Wrong SF, way wrong.
Goat is super lean whereas lamb is fatty. Mutton is also fatty but far gamier.
They are worlds apart.
The great thing about lamb/mutton is, it is delicious all the way from rare to well done.
Its a very forgiving meat.
Goat needs far more care.

Titch gave some good pointers, and I also love that chef, what a top bloke also.

Wrong SF, way wrong.
Goat is super lean whereas lamb is fatty. Mutton is also fatty but far gamier.
They are worlds apart.
The great thing about lamb/mutton is, it is delicious all the way from rare to well done.
Its a very forgiving meat.
Goat needs far more care.

Titch gave some good pointers, and I also love that chef, what a top bloke also.

THANKS!!!
I never knew. That's what I love about this place!!
I'm always learning!!

Back