Royal oak lump

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I found this interesting and thought I would share. I was told I could buy royal oak lump direct from the mfg here in Belle mo in my own containers bulk much cheaper. I called and the guy was kind of on the offensives, wanting to ask me who told me this and such, as I told him it was just a passing comment made to me when I was talking to another person about what else bbq. Anyway he proceeded to tell me they did not do that, this really did not surprise me, but then he told me that if I wanted to buy 75 lbs or more I would need a licence to buy and haul hazmat material, with hazmat signs for my vehicle, I did not ask why. I told him I had hazmat on my cdl to haul, but he said I would still need a licence to buy hazmat material.

I am willing to bet if I went to lowes or homedepot and bought a couple full pallets of the stuff, I would not be ask for anything except method of payment please. Anyone know if he was correct of just blowing me off?
Dave

Most companies who manufacture stuff like that won't deal with the public. It isn't generally worth their time. (Or they may be prohibited by contracts with their clients.) Most people when told that a company doesn't deal with the public will call up their buddy with a busniess license. Then when their buddy gets there and doesn't have a HAZMAT set up (lic./truck/ins.) they can only put 70#'s and it isn't worth the time and aggravation.

Plus, I am sure that regulatory complience issues are the last thing they want so they do it by the book. (See the magnizeum plants that seem to blow up once a year or so or paint plants.)

I can see the requirement for hazmat as well. The dust it self is very explosive/flammible some random guy with a pick-up huling 400#s of charcoal will have enough dust to make a ciggerette that gets blown in the bed REAL interesting.

Most companies who manufacture stuff like that won't deal with the public. It isn't generally worth their time. (Or they may be prohibited by contracts with their clients.) Most people when told that a company doesn't deal with the public will call up their buddy with a busniess license. Then when their buddy gets there and doesn't have a HAZMAT set up (lic./truck/ins.) they can only put 70#'s and it isn't worth the time and aggravation.

Plus, I am sure that regulatory complience issues are the last thing they want so they do it by the book. (See the magnizeum plants that seem to blow up once a year or so or paint plants.)

I can see the requirement for hazmat as well. The dust it self is very explosive/flammible some random guy with a pick-up huling 400#s of charcoal will have enough dust to make a ciggerette that gets blown in the bed REAL interesting.

I do have a business licence to buy and sell plus the cdl endorsement, I just did not want to pursue it at that point. I do understand what you are saying, I have been in a mfg fire which involved sawdust.
Dave

I bet if you called back and talked to someone different, you might get a different story.

That said, I wouldn't blame RO if they didn't want to sell to the general public.

Dave, I am not the worlds best writer if I came across as anything other than cheerful stream of thought, I am sorry.

Dave, I am not the worlds best writer if I came across as anything other than cheerful stream of thought, I am sorry.

Wow I did not even get that from your post, now I have to think I sounded upset or something which I was not at all, but you are right the written language is sometimes tricky, anyway its all good here.
Dave

According to the DOT It is legal to haul up to 50 lb of Haz Mat without placards or a CDL endorsement, As long as it is listed on The Bill of lading & the bills remain with in reach of the driver and on the seat when away from the vehicle. Anything 50 lb and over must meat DOT requirements on a Commercial vehicle Endorsement , Placading, Ect. What the RO rep told you was 1/2 truth to keep them from liability issues( Law Suits) from mishandling. You are correct a retailer may sell you all you can carry with out issue just like Fertilizer or Propane or Oxygen ECT.

so it would be illegal to run to the store and buy 10 x 22lb bags of wicked good on sale for $10 and bring it home in my Honda?
Same thing for hauling 4-5 bags in the trailer to a contest?

I am going to go buy about 10 bags of Royal Oak and strap it to the hood rack and rollbar of my Jeep and ride around downtown B'ham to see what happens. :laugh:

I am going to go buy about 10 bags of Royal Oak and strap it to the hood rack and rollbar of my Jeep and ride around downtown B'ham to see what happens. :laugh:

Well if you really want to get peoples attention, light one bag on fire.:wacko:
Dave

Back