• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Reuse of lump charcoal?

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've heard a couple people mention that they lock down their smokers when they are done and reuse some of the lump charcoal. I was cleaning out the WSM from yesterday's smoke, and there was still quite a bit of solid chunks left, although they were covered in a light gray ash.
Do you just reuse any solid pieces left over, and are they going to hold temp the same as new lump? Just curious.

I constantly reuse lump.Doesnt matter if its in the WSMs or the big gf type.Just dump the new in on top and let er burn.

I just shake out the ashes and relight. If need be I add more fresh lump. Been doing this since last year when I got the Primo. Works good.

I shake off the ashes, pull the coals out, dump the ash, put them back in, add more and relight. Works perfect. And any large chunks or logs you've used that are still in there turn into lump coal!

Being able to kill the fire and save fuel as such was one of the attractive 'selling points' in my decision to make a UDS.

My clean up method is much the same as the above - remove the charcoal basket, knock out the ash, remove ash pan, dump, scrape off excess grease that missed the fire and collected in the pan... then replace ash pan, reload lump, then back into the UDS.

I have better success pulling the basket out of the UDS to knock out the ash, than trying to get it all in the ash pan from within the drum. YMMV, but it's all good!

By all means, re-use.

One possible drawback of just adding fresh atop the old each burn is less airflow. Smaller pieces pack more tightly and the residual ash clogs things up a bit.

Now, this will likely have no effect at typical 225-275 temps, but If you want to hit 350+ in the WSM, I'd use only large chunks.

One thing I do is pour out the old onto a piece of hardware cloth with 1/2" holes and give it a shake before adding back. This allows you to put the fresh coals on the bottom of the pile, and you can use these sifted pieces in your starter too.

in my eggs, i just move the used lump to the edges and add new lump in the resulting hole all the way down to the fire grate. good airflow through the new lump and a quicker starting fire. the used lump around the outside catches after a bit.

Yeppers, I agree! The WSMs & the UDS always have charcoal left over. It would be wrong to waste that much good 'coal.

If it's only a small amount I reuse it in my chimney to start the minion method. Never have had a problem with reuse. At the price of lump your crazy not to.

I reuse mine all the time.

With enough practice, you might even find that you can minimize your unlit and partially lit coals.

Soak in water first to wash the grey off :twisted:

I got the inverted Seiko WSM Mod going after cleaning it this weekend, and its been raining like a SOB.

It seemed to fit like a glove, so I'm looking forward to opening up and seing if it stayed dry.

I shake the coal basket real good while its still in the uds so as not to deal with the mess outside in my yard. Then I rake all the old stuff to the middle and add fresh lump around that, this also gives me a better idea of how much lump I need to add for whatever I am going to cook that day.

My intakes sits maybe 7 or 8 inches off the bottom and the ash can build up for a long time before I need to empty the uds. I have cooked on it now for somewhere between 10 to 15 times and can probably go another 8 or 9 cooks before I need to empty it.

I use a weed burner most times to light it in the center. Have thought about adding a ash pan but I really don't know how it would be any easier than it is now, since I only need to deal with the ash, two or three times a year instead of every time I cook.

I know this may cause the bottom to rot out sooner having the ash sit in it but I have this one going on two years now and have a couple more ready to build. I have built 4 in the last 5 years and none have rotted out, just decided to move on to better buld, as I will do with this one.

Sorry for this long post and I hope I answered the original question, without being too boring. :wink:
Dave

I do whenever I have any left over, shake a little and add new on top

Back