2 Hot & Fast Brisket Questions

Cahusky

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ive read a ton of threads on high heat brisket cooks but have a couple of things im still not clear on.

1. I usually don't trim full packers much but it looks like some folks trim them pretty tight for high heat cooks. Am I ok leaving most of the fat cap as i usually do or is it indeed recommended to trim it pretty close?

2. I read in a couple of threads that when doing a high heat brisket on the drum you can expect finishing temps closer to 205ish. I know, I know, go by feel, however, im a rookie and like to use the temp as a bit of a guideline to assist me in deciding when its ready to pull in addition to whether if feels like buddah when inserting the probe.

I trim my briskets the same for both, I try to leave 1/8" of the fat cap on, I do remove all hard yellow fat and loose hanging fat.

I start testing at 195 for a packer, 190 for a flat, it has been pretty close to 200F +/- for me in terms of when things are done.

had to edit the word "vagina" out of my post here

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I trim high heat brisket the same as low-n-slow. I trim the fat cap down to about 1/4 inch and any big hunks of fat on the flip side.

2. Haven't noticed any difference in "done" temps. I start probing around 185, usually end up pulling around 200 or so when probe feels right.

Back