Korean Style Short Ribs and Fried Rice

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Market Basket had a package of Korean cut Beef Ribs along with a package of standard cut beef ribs. I knew when I picked them both up what I'd be attempting today - the Korean style. I don't recall having ever made these so this was a first.

I made up a marinade of Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Rice Vinegar, Garlic, Green Onion, Brown Sugar and Five Spice and let the ribs marinate for a few hours in the fridge. No pics of them sitting in the marinade but here they are having just been placed on the grill -

JApsIh2.jpg

Prior to grilling these, which only took a few minutes, a side of Fried Rice was in order on the Blackstone. I used the rice cooker and let the rice sit out and cool for a few hours.

Today I added Peas, Carrots, Corn, Red Pepper, Green Onion and Scrambled Egg to the Rice along with the Soy Sauce and Sesame Oil -

BVSyFPp.jpg

r1Sec63.jpg

After a few minutes the Korean Style Ribs are taking on some nice color -

bFY79hr.jpg

iaU28wU.jpg

Ready to be served -

X3X5UBq.jpg

J2GC6Lg.jpg

Plated -

NRIQFPm.jpg

Hn0fKwp.jpg

QPWU4KF.jpg

These were incredibly good. The marinade wasn't overpowering and had a nice hint of sweetness thanks to the brown sugar. My wife says my Fried Rice rivals anything we get from local takeout.

Definitely a different Asian style dinner for us on what was a warm Summer day.

Thanks for checking out this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Wish i would have waited for the newer model Blackstone. Looks great btw. How much soy sauce did you use? A tip one of the Teppanyaki Chefs told me years ago was to use salt and less soy sauce. It stepped my hibachi fried rice game 10 fold.

Killer, Dom.

It's fun to watch you experiment with different flavors and styles. - If you should stumble onto some Kalbi/Galbi marinade, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences in flavor with your own.

The fried rice looks wonderful.

Thanks for taking us along for the adventure!

Wish i would have waited for the newer model Blackstone. Looks great btw. How much soy sauce did you use? A tip one of the Teppanyaki Chefs told me years ago was to use salt and less soy sauce. It stepped my hibachi fried rice game 10 fold.

For the marinade, one of the recipes I consulted said 1/4 cup. I took the measuring cup out and promptly put it away, just eyeballing it. Why dirty a measuring cup? :p

As for the Fried Rice, I sprinkle it on until the color looks right.

Interesting about the use salt and less soy sauce.

At one time I used to measure everything. Now I just kinda wing it.

For the marinade, one of the recipes I consulted said 1/4 cup. I took the measuring cup out and promptly put it away, just eyeballing it. Why dirty a measuring cup? :p

As for the Fried Rice, I sprinkle it on until the color looks right.

Interesting about the use salt and less soy sauce.

At one time I used to measure everything. Now I just kinda wing it.

Sorry i didnt be specific, i was referring to the amount of soy sauce in the fried rice. I assumed you used a lot due to the color. Do you use a dark or light soy sauce? That makes a huge difference on color. But i use less then a TBSP for 4 cups cooked rice. And add salt to taste. Its basicly what the chef told me. He said too much liquids will soften the rice too much, and soy sauce will over power the flavor.

Killer, Dom.

It's fun to watch you experiment with different flavors and styles. - If you should stumble onto some Kalbi/Galbi marinade, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences in flavor with your own.

The fried rice looks wonderful.

Thanks for taking us along for the adventure!

Thanks, Marc. In my recipe search I did come across some pre-made marinades on amazon and had thoughts of a quick trip to my market to search through the Asian products aisle. But it's more fun to experiment and make things up as I go.

The only downside to my method is sometimes I can't remember what I did the last time I made something as I often deviate from recipes and use proportions simply based on taste, look or smell. It's all kinda fun and rarely do I screw things up so bad that we decide pizza would be a better choice. :becky:

Sorry i didnt be specific, i was referring to the amount of soy sauce in the fried rice. I assumed you used a lot due to the color. Do you use a dark or light soy sauce? That makes a huge difference on color. But i use less then a TBSP for 4 cups cooked rice. And add salt to taste. Its basicly what the chef told me. He said too much liquids will soften the rice too much, and soy sauce will over power the flavor.

I use a dark Soy Sauce, Kikkoman. Based on the 20 oz bottle, I'd estimate I used less than a quarter cup but it's hard to say for certain. This was 3 cups of cooked rice.

I use a dark Soy Sauce, Kikkoman. Based on the 20 oz bottle, I'd estimate I used less than a quarter cup but it's hard to say for certain. This was 3 cups of cooked rice.

Ahh ok. less the a 1/4 cup would be somwhere around 3 TBSP. I havent bought kikoman in a long time, i suppose its darker in color. My favorite brand is Pearl river bridge delicious light soy sauce. It doesn't discolor the food too much and has really great flavor. It does contain MSG, which i actually prefer. If you can get it, give it a try. Its way better then Kikoman. If you are allergic to MSG, Pearl river bridge makes a superior light soy sauce without MSG

That meal looks amazing! The effort you go to for these cooks show in the results. Very nice.

Great cook. Those look wonderful! I have only had the pleasure of cooking the Korean style flanken cut short ribs once. I made Kalbi and it was great. I need to find some of those again.

Umm very close to the Kalbi recipe I use...except missing pear in the marinade...acts as a tenderiser.

Reminds me I have a couple packs of ribs in the frezer. Thanks for the idea on what to make with them.

Your plate looks fantastic!

I had no desire for fried rice at all before opening this thread. Now I HAVE to make some! Looks great man

Back