Butt sauces/seasoning

mikemci

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have ideas for pulled pork butt sauces or other seasoning method. Most people seem to cover it with BBQ sauce but I am not a big fan of this method ( it just tastes like the sauce). The bark is what I like the flavor of. Was also thinking of cutting it up into 2 or 3 pieces before smoking it in order to get more bark, or maybe a dry seasoning to kick up the flavor of the interior meat. Thanks for any ideas.

I like a simple E NC vinegar sauce

Eastern North Carolina BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™), or to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

PORK RUB
Ingredients
1 c Kosher salt
1 c turbinado sugar
4 Tbs Sweet paprika
2 Tbs Chili powder
2 Tbs Granulated onion
2 Tbs Dry mustard
1 Tbs Granulated garlic
2 tsp Black pepper
2 tsp Celery salt
2 tsp Ground ginger
1 tsp Ground cayenne

Yeah this looks very promising Bludawg! Thanks for printing the recipes also.

Yep, Bludawg is real close to what Us Rednecks use here in E/Central NC. As for the sauce, its hard to beat the 'ole Stand-By Scott's:

www.scottsbarbecuesause.com

Again, I agree with the dawg on the Hog Butt dry rub. However, I omit the hot pepper and heavy-up on the garlic powder or fresh chopped garlic.

Have Fun and Happy Fourth!

I feel that a pork butt when properly cooked will stand on it's own with flavor and many people will not use a sauce with it. But then again, you will find that some people think the BBQ means sauce and really pour it on.

BlueDawg's Rub is a great start for seasoning. You can also try using an injection like Chris Lilly's to add flavor and help keep moisture within the cell structure of the meat. I add spice to the injection to boost the flavors.

I find it best to leave the sauces on the side and let the patron decide... I find many use no sauce at all, but people are individuals and have varied tastes..

+1
hey bludawg, did you ever try my blues hog vinegar base copycat recipe that you mixed up on pork? its good. im a fan of just plain ol bbq with a texas red dipping sauce. hard to beat. notice is said bbq and not smoked.
so far my favorite pork butt injection is 2 cups apple juice, 1/4 cup worchester, 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno juice and a few shakes of garlic and onion

What BlueDawg said.

Make the vinegar sauce up a few days ahead of time so the flavors have time to meld. You don't want to add too much of the sauce to the pulled meat. Just enough to give it a hint of the flavor from the sauce. Maybe 1/4 cup for 2 lbs of pulled pork.

I also like to wrap my butts in foil after they have the bark I'm looking for. Usually around 170 IT. Once you are done pulling the meat, add the juice that is in the foil back to the meat.

+1
hey bludawg, did you ever try my blues hog vinegar base copycat recipe that you mixed up on pork? its good. im a fan of just plain ol bbq with a texas red dipping sauce. hard to beat. notice is said bbq and not smoked.
so far my favorite pork butt injection is 2 cups apple juice, 1/4 cup worchester, 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno juice and a few shakes of garlic and onion
I used a pint on Butt Saminches, and I drank a pint:oops::mrgreen: You hit that on the JMONEY:thumb: It has a permanent place on the shelf. I even tried a little on some Brisket:-o:icon_bigsmil

I find it best to leave the sauces on the side and let the patron decide... I find many use no sauce at all, but people are individuals and have varied tastes..
AMEN!

Further, I have actually watched a certain un-named kinfolk of mine sprinkle a little of Granddaddy's Moonshine on the Hog.

Talk about some added 'KICK'!

Enjoy your Que.............

Back