WSM mod question

jimmypop

Reaction score
Im looking to seal my WSM around the lid and door. Anyone know of a gasket (or something similar) you can buy at a home depot or hardware store?

Ive seen some on Amazon but like the idea of a DIY job and something that I could use on pits in the future to seal any leaks. :thumb:

After a few cooks my lid has a fine, natural seal. The door is another story. I've heard good reports about the cajun bandit replacement door.

Why?
It's a BBQ pit. Smoke is gonna get out at the joints.
Is it leaking so badly that the coals don't go out when you close all of the vents? If it is, something is probably out of round.
My $.02.

That's true. Im thinking about putting a Guru on it and it seems like being airtight would be the trick.

The links above are perfect. Thanks everyone.

After a few cooks my lid has a fine, natural seal. The door is another story. I've heard good reports about the cajun bandit replacement door.

I order one earlier this week but still waiting on it to show. I read some good things about it on the forum and the stock aluminum door they send you just feels sooooo flimsy. Actually works alright once you bend it a little bit.

The Cajun Bandit door will fix your door leak problem. I sometimes get a wisp out of the corner but nothing to be concerned about at all. My lid leaks out a bit, it doesn't really concern me. I've been down the road of trying to seal up smokers completely, it is a losing battle and the outcome is that it really didn't make a difference. The door does need some work though. I also upgraded to a nice compression latch on my door. If you are dead set on this though, find some nomex gasket material, it gets sold a lot of places for the ceramic style cookers.

Im thinking about putting a Guru on it.

Cook on it for a while, learn how to use it.

Master it.

You may find a guru to be an unnecessary expense.

I cook on WSMs in all types of conditions (backyard, comp, hot, extreme cold, rain, humid, etc...) and have not experienced the need for an ATC.

I bought this and installed it last week. Good quality material and self adhesive. There was enough to do 18" WSM top gaskets and doors. Shipping was very fast. Cost was $18 and shipping was free.

Back