• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket - Night Train in a Dark Closet - for the Funky Only

• Thread starter barbefunkoramaque
  • Start date
Now... when is somebody gonna talk about the true reason for this thread...

Prince's Guitar on WholeLottaLove, HonkyTalk Woman, and esp... Purplehouse.

Y'all never understand that I actually rattle on about BBQ and Brisket only to talk about the funk!

And how bout that Stevie Wonder on the Drums?

Makes you say who is Neil Pert? (RUSH Drummer)

i have to put in a mix disc my friend gave me just to read these threads. it's titled "funk up your business" and the cover is homer simpson pointing at his ash! :biggrin:

sugarman 3
budos band
daktaris
menahan street band
poets of rhythm
dirty dozen brass band

i must try this oven foil brisket. i need to feel

I don't know if I learned anything here, but the Wild Cherry video was great, loved the spinning trumpet

Thread brings a new meaning to WTF - What The Funk, gonna get a flat, foil and give the oven a workout!

Sure glad I read enough of this other thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57130 to to figure out that Clinton and Grahmn was not a brand of seasoning before I spent hours in the area food stores searching for them.

Guess that is Par for a 65 year old that still likes and listens to:
Metallica
The Beatles
Willie Nelson

In that order of priorities.:cool:

If the three layer method is better, I'll have to change my signature from Fark to Funk:shock:.

Attachments

• Fark.jpg
    Fark.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 536
Big Al! Metallica used to borrow a lot of gear from Prince. Great range of taste!

Thread brings a new meaning to WTF - What The Funk, gonna get a flat, foil and give the oven a workout!

Sure glad I read enough of this other thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57130 to to figure out that Clinton and Grahmn was not a brand of seasoning before I spent hours in the area food stores searching for them.

Guess that is Par for a 65 year old that still likes and listens to:
Metallica
The Beatles
Willie Nelson

In that order of priorities.:cool:

If the three layer method is better, I'll have to change my signature from Fark to Funk:shock:.

barbefunkoramaque,

From Metallic "Garage" Disk II track 11, , "So What" (not suitable for Qtalk). (So Farking What was the base theme of the track.)

My Pal and co-worker, married 3 times and divorced 3 times and in the process got several DUI's used to insist that we play that on the way to work each morning "to get ready for the stress of the day". After what he had been through, it pretty much summed up how he felt.

I just played it, in his memory and somehow made me feel like he was still with us.

Music is good!

funky smell

Well today I decided to give this experiment a try. So I opened her up to give it a good rinsing and noticed there was a strange, funky smell to it! I first I that it was just me thinking of the funk-master (barbefunk) but the odor hung around for too long.

To my shock and pissed-off-ness I realized the flat I bought was corn-beefed flavored:eek: Oh well, i guess it is befitting that I make that since its St. Patty's Day. I'll try it another day.

Anyone who does not like Prince has not heard or seen him perform, Traffic is my favorite all time band , Stevie Ray, and Jimi a close 2nd or 3rd, and Prince can hold his against any of them.

Ya think they really get it?

I feel your pain Brother. I been telling them to keep thier traps shut for a long time! Heat is pressure and viceversa.i.e.heat+pressure+moisture=tenderness, simple. The KISS method.
S/CBP even heat(gotta be diligent) and patience:!:

Rock on Bubba:icon_cool

I thought Prince died until I seen that travesty of a super bowl halftime show! Now I wish he would just go away again!

This question came at me from my good friend Zilla. I thought my response should be in here for all to share.

"So how did you enjoy your first semester teaching?"

Great. I love the Special Ed kids... they love my pig candy too.

"Just reread the Jetton thread, love it. Another question for you. In a different thread you suggested that everyone try your mothers baked brisket recipe at least once for process sake I beleive. As I recall the meat was seasoned with S&P and laid meat side down on an aluminum sheet and held in the fridge overnight then baked. What do you think the mechanics of the process are? Does the aluminum play a part (salt, water, metal, electrolysis, ionization, micro brining and capillary action drawing the flavor up)? I figured the meat sitting in the salt seasoning created a micro brine environment between the meat and the flat tray keeping the meat in constant contact with salt solution and capillary action did the rest. I figured if the meat side were facing up all the moisture would run off to the fat cap and would kill the process. I did this with my comp ribs and brisket two weeks ago when I forgot my stuff in the fridge at home and had great results. I used foil though. I had a discussion with a friend at a Christmas party last weekend about it, I just wanted your thoughts on this.
Thanks Donnie and Merry Christmas!"

The purpose of this thread was to create idea conditions for a tender brisket so everyone would understand "the feel." We can share numberical equivalents on the net, IT, time cooked, rub ratios, but "feel" is something you have to experience.

With this experience we set aside BBQ and smoking all together and gradually remove any components (rub, injections ect.) so that only two factors contribute to the experiement. I chose salt/pepper so people kept it simple. This was not a BBQ experiement but a "Meat Cut" experiement.

This excercise is to place in the novices' mind, and the mind of someone who only reached for a brisket only to BBQ it THUS they may had never been exposed to its full tenderness. In addition... should you think it too tender, you have a zone you can pull back from... which is easier than the other way.... gradually increasing the cook until you get the tenderness you want... which only means $$$$$.

Fat position generally serves two purposes.... one is to protect the meat... the other to more gently provide cooking heat and moisture to the flat. For instance, long ago when the first calrod came out on electric stoves... they used to give you a diffuser. This kept the bottom of your stew pot for instance from burning your food. The fat cap is kind of the same thing. It also.. when you consider the meat dynamics... HOLDS in moisture like a BOWL... more effiecently that it could ever baste the meat.
BUT this is in MOST smokers.

In essense... once you have make the Night Train Brisket... as far as tendeness and juiciness... you have the example in your mind of where your brisket should be... yet you will be using LESS than ideal circumstances.

Two questions and a bump!

Trying this experiment as I type, 2 hrs to go, at least until the 4 hr mark.

1st question: What would make it 4.5 versus 4 hours? A little bit bigger piece of meat? Will 30 min make that much of a difference in the result?

2nd question: With the thermostat of the oven going on and off, I think you're really saying that this is as close as we're going to get to an ideal environment. Right? Because the thermostat in the oven cycles the heat on and off, so temps go back and forth from 260-290. I submit that my BGE holds temp more steadily.

At any rate, thanks for this set of instructions. Definitely a good suggestion for someone who has gone from a 'B' to a 'D' to a 'B+" in brisket, and who has tried to learn just what that feel is.

Back