• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Buying meat for a festival. HELP!

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We are cook for a festival in two weeks. They are expecting 8000 people over the course of the weekend. We are serving pulled pork, chopped chicken, tri-tip, st. louis ribs and links. We will have 4oz. sandwiches and 6oz. dinners.

Anybody want to take a stab at how much of each meat we should buy?

Great question!

Theres a flat rate to use as a percentage of customers you can expect to serve, just can't remember it.........

Maybe start with 10% and adjust from there?

I'd ALWAYS rather sell out than have leftovers any day!
Makes everyone think that your food must be the best!

That is a tough one big. Can you get any feedback from the folks that did it last year? Was there a last year? Pulled pork is pretty easy in that you can always freeze what doesn't get pulled but those ribs are a bear to figure. I did an event last month, and did ribs. I ran out too soon and was just glad to be done. They had two other vendors there and I am pretty sure I was the busiest of the three of us. The others were burgers and fish.

Hope you got a couple cambros. They make the job easier.

I guess the big question is how many folks are you figuring on feeding I am thinking 10% may be sort of high because I am thinking that you are not going to have enough time to attend to 800 folks? I agree with Bubba, sell out and you will be doing just fine.

I guess I would figure on the hours of the event and figure you will be very busy from noon to six. Even at 600 folks that is more than one per minute and that seems a little high too. I am curious to know how that works out. Unless you have a lot of help, you have your hands full. So I didn't put that into the consideration.

Some of the things I am learning is that there are easy foods and hard foods to serve. Easy means that you don't have to attend to them, such as dogs sausage and meat that is presliced or pulled. Ribs are high maintenance as is tri-tip when cooked to perfection. And of course chicken dries out regardless due to sitting.

Concentrate on the pulled pork and links. yeah baby! The links can be frozen to cooked in a few minutes.... well if the heat is high enough that is.

Last edited:
I'm planning on cooking the Pulled Pork ahead of time and reheating it there. Chicken will be boneless, skinless leg meat that we will grill and cut into chunks. Ribs will already be St. Louis cut seasoned and ready to hit the smoker. Links will be fresh and ready to grill or smoke. Tri-tip will be done in the smoker or on the grill. Where ever we have space.

I'm planning on cooking the Pulled Pork ahead of time and reheating it there. Chicken will be boneless, skinless leg meat that we will grill and cut into chunks. Ribs will already be St. Louis cut seasoned and ready to hit the smoker. Links will be fresh and ready to grill or smoke. Tri-tip will be done in the smoker or on the grill. Where ever we have space.

Sounds great!!

Need any help?? :cool:

I guess the big question is how many folks are you figuring on feeding I am thinking 10% may be sort of high because I am thinking that you are not going to have enough time to attend to 800 folks? I agree with Bubba, sell out and you will be doing just fine.

Ya, maybe it was like 5%, that would be a good number to start out at!

Where are you purchasing your meat? If your using a distributor like Shamrock foods ETC, I would see if you could order what you think you will need and see if they would deliver a second load of meat to you on site.
I've vended at contests and seen others do this that were cooking in mass quantities. At least with this if you need more or less of a certain item you can make plans for it and get more. Just a thought...

No distributor yet. Sounds like another question for the group...

They do four of these a year. They have done them for several years along with other larger concerts. The promoter has a pretty good handle on what to expect.

Back