Pepper Grinders

OK, me three. Turkish grinders work very well and give a fine grind. You won't need to buy a Zassenhaus though - they are about $80 these days. A good Greek model should do just fine.

I have a stone motor and pestal. It works great for peppercorns and for making wet marinades.

I remember an old thread from a year or two ago. Unicorn got rave reviews then too.

I use a brass Turkish Coffee grinder. Same type as Jeff Smith an old chef who was on tv used. Bought it in 2003 for about $30 dollars at a store called World Market.

I also use one of those grinders and also got it at World market. Great for a few tablespoons of pepper...
turkish_pepper_mill.jpg

When I need a bunch of fresh ground pepper, like when making up rubs, I use a burr type coffee mill I picked up several years ago for like $15. This is the one I have.
burr_coffee_grinder.jpg

For table use and stuff, we just use the regular old wooden pepper mill...

James.

You could always go the Alton Brown method and hook up a crank one to the chuck of your cordless drill.

I've had the magnum for about a year or so and love it. I bought it after going through several of the battery powered POSs.

I've got the magnum and it's the best grinder I've ever used. Two quick turns and there's plenty of peper for most folks. On my fried eggs, three or four cranks and you can barely see the egg under the peper. If your looking for a grinder that works with little effort on your part, the Magnum is the one to buy.

Got a blender? Assuming you're starting with dried whole peppers, just fill your blender up about half way and pulse it to the desired consistancy. I fill several coffee cans this way each year.

I also use one of those grinders and also got it at World market. Great for a few tablespoons of pepper...
turkish_pepper_mill.jpg

When I need a bunch of fresh ground pepper, like when making up rubs, I use a burr type coffee mill I picked up several years ago for like $15. This is the one I have.
burr_coffee_grinder.jpg

For table use and stuff, we just use the regular old wooden pepper mill...

James.

Yep, thats the one I purchased also. Mine works great but isnt quite as shiney as yours. Awesome machine.

Look for a grinder that has ceramic grinding elements. They will out last steel and give a more consistant grind. The Trudeau brand is very nice and they have both steel and ceramic elements.

I just picked up the Trudeau Graviti from Sur La Table myself. Haven't used it much, but it's been good to me so far...

I use a brass Turkish Coffee grinder. Same type as Jeff Smith an old chef who was on tv used. Bought it in 2003 for about $30 dollars at a store called World Market.

Thats after I went through several cheaper ones. This one has a crank like an old mechanical pencil sharpener. I can adjust the grind size by adjusting the screw on the bottom of the mill.
Ditto on that... I bought mine back when he was still on the air (late 80's early 90's) :eek: and it works like a champ!!!

Three cheers for the magnum plus!

I own the Unicorn Magnum and love it. I also carry the small one in my pocket for restraunt use. .......NUTZ

the unicorn magnum plus is on my list... i just need to get it in gear and make a few clicks!

Are you sure this is the right thread for you guys?

Kitchenaid Coffee grinder. We have several of them. One for coffee, one for mixing, and one for mixing individual. They all have the same blade and design but I like to keep them separate. And they were on sale at woot.com

Thanks guys.

I'm leaning towards the Magnum for general cooking and maybe
getting a cheap burr grinder for rubs.

Just a thought.

Does anyone think that it is really necessary to use freshly ground pepper
in a rub that will not be completely used and have to be stored?

Thanks guys.

I'm leaning towards the Magnum for general cooking and maybe
getting a cheap burr grinder for rubs.

Just a thought.

Does anyone think that it is really necessary to use freshly ground pepper
in a rub that will not be completely used and have to be stored?

Short answer? No.

When I am making up bulk batches of rubs, etc. I almost always use purchased pre-ground. As long as it comes from a freshly opened container it works fine. I will grind pepper for small batches that are to be used at once, and/or for something special, like a big rib roast, or holiday meal.

Are you sure this is the right thread for you guys?

i ordered the magnum plus on sunday. should be here today i hope. my sous chef betty is beside herself! :twisted:

i use a krups coffee grinder sometimes :biggrin:

i ordered the magnum plus on sunday. should be here today i hope. my sous chef betty is beside herself! :twisted:

i use a krups coffee grinder sometimes :biggrin:

i'd love to see a pic of good 'ol betty doing the grind :tongue:

I jumped ahead to post and didn't read all of the responses. I have both of the grinders you mention in your original post plus the Unicorn Pepper Gun. I highly recommend any of the Unicorn products, especially the Magnum plus for larger amounts of freshly ground pepper.

I'm going to go back and read all of the responses now.

Rod

Okay, read all of the posts now. Good thread. Yeah, Jeff Smith WAS on TV, right up until he molested a boy scout - allegedly, of course!

I have a wine bottle shaped pepper grinder I bought from restaurant depot about 4 years ago. I use it daily and it still Works great. looks like this
cs16005.jpg

Back