• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Switching To Sunday Turn In

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Since there has now been a public response by Jim McNair - President and Chief Executive Officer of the American Royal, I sure wish some of you long time forum members here with a handle on this issue that knows how to post a thread with a Poll included would comment and put the poll up to see how many are in favor of the Sunday turn in and how many are not (not that it will make a difference but just for the sake of knowing). What I read was that they spoke with only about 10% of the number of teams that compete and they did not name them. Anybody would have to assume that this will catch on and be the standard at more and more contest. Personally I think it is a dumb idea and if they think going to sat / sun as opposed to fri / sat is all the sudden going to make the corporate sponsors want to kick their sponsorship up a whole bunch they may be wrong because I doubt the sponsors want to be tied to the contest on Sunday anymore than I do. Three things that comes to my mind but I really cannot decide how I feel about them, are: 1) is this going to boil down to dividing the current list of teams into amateurs and professionals in the future and is that part of the purpose? 2) where should KCBS fit into all this and should or could they have a say? 3) are the big full time teams that don't have to get back to work Mon because they do this full time lined up with the contest organizers that want this change because they will have a better chance to win against a smaller field with supposedly just as much prize money? Beat me up over posting this if you want but I just want to know more about it and I'm not trying to start any arguments, this is just what I'm thinking. I am right now really looking forward to this summers 12 or 13 events that I plan to enter and have put out a bunch of doe-ray-me to do it and looks like that may not be a good thing because if the sunday trend does take hold I'm out of it and stuck with a bunch of equipment.

We hope that it does not change..Mark has a job that he works 4-10hr days so he is off on Fridays, which makes it easy for us to go to any contest..I work at a doctors office and yes taking off Mondays is a BIG deal, yes I get vacation but if I go and request off all of the Mondays some heads are going to roll. The American Royal stated that they are adding an extra day to the contest, which I don't see. If they were adding and extra day then the BBQ contest itself would start on Thursday like it always has and end on Sunday. Granted that they might have added to the prize money but is that really worth it. Alot of teams travel very far to go to this event and I think some of them will not come this year...Not only that but the Invite teams have to worry about the big partys on Friday night, which from what I have read will not change, So those that have worked hard to get to be able to go to the invite have to be punished??? Leaves a sour taste in our mouth and yes we will still do it but damn how bout a little respect.

Most of the KCBS contests in the Northeast are Saturday cook and Sunday Turn-in. It givespeople a chance to compete without taking Friday off.

Most of the KCBS contests in the Northeast are Saturday cook and Sunday Turn-in. It givespeople a chance to compete without taking Friday off.

In my case, If I am scheduled to work overtime Sat then in order to get Sat off without getting gigged, I would have to take a vacation day Friday so I don't have to work Sat. Now I am always dog tired Saturday so I would be tempted to take a Monday vacation day, especially if its very far. Thats two for one cook off sure would eat up my vacation time.
Dave

The American Royal stated that they are adding an extra day to the contest, which I don't see. If they were adding and extra day then the BBQ contest itself would start on Thursday like it always has and end on Sunday. .

They did add an extra night, by starting just the poker tournement and load in of the teams on Thursday. No one is cooking for the judges on Thursday night. Friday the invitational teams cook (I see a problem w/ this and the big corp parties going on at the same time) and turn in on Saturday.
Historically the only people who would remain on Saturday would be open teams who thought they could place. Of the 500 plus teams competeing maybe only a 100 stick around. The rest vamoose the minute they open the gates to the cars. It's a mass exodus at 3pm. Then after judging many others leave and or start breaking down to leave sunday morning and not adding to any sort of festive energy.
So keeping the open teams there Saturday and cooking they hope this will bring more people down, create a better atmosphere for those who come down as "spectators" that maybe the open teams will have a second party or that they just have one large party on Saturday... or that corporate sponsors try and make a huge weekend deal out of it.

I'm all for making this a huge event. But they are making mistakes.

In the Pacific NW contests have been held Sat/Sun for ever and you can adjust. The distances we drive are great than most in the MidWest to get to the contests because have fewer choices.

KCBS is a sanctioning body and it is the organizer that hires us to officate, it's the organizers call when it comes to dates.

Jim

Back