• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooked for a Special Guest Tonight!!

Garrett

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My Grandmother turned 87 last week and I got to cook for her tonight!!!! I am a very lucky man to have been by raised by her and my Papaw, she is the one who taught how to cook indoors and my Papaw (RIP) taught me how to outdoors. She has cooked me many a good meals, so I invited her over for my version of her favorite meal. Leg quarters, mashed taters and gravy, and corn on the cob! Only have pics of the chicken because once she got here I put my phone down and spent time with her. Any way here's what I did get photos of.

About 30 mins before they were done I mixed up apple butter and my homemade sauce(Lexington Style) at 50/50 and brushed on both sides to glaze over.

Sorry about not having shots of sides or plated pics. The time I spent with my Grandmother was worth more than pictures. It was a huge honor to be able to cook her favorite meal for her and have her tell me how good it was!! That was the first time I've mixed apple butter with sauce. I will be doing that again, it gave the chicken a wow factor.

Thanks for looking!!

Nice job on both, the meal and time spent with your grandmother.

Happy Birthday to your grandmother! Chicken looks delicious. I'm sure she was very happy. Good job!

Nice looking food. Happy Birthday to your grandmother. Can you tells about the sauce you made? Would like to give it a go myself.

Great looking food, thanks for sharing. I always like cooking for my mom and in laws since they've done so much for us. I wish I had gotten into BBQ when my dad was alive. He used to make prime rib every thanksgiving and Xmas and now I've taken over the honors except I do it outside :wink:

That's wonderful you got to cook for your grandmother. My grandmother is the very same age: 87. One of her favorites is chicken & mashed potatoes as well. She taught me how to fry chicken very well:

Take lightly damp chicken (no soaking in milk or whatever) and roll it in flour on a plate, then throw in a pan filled with enough oil to come up at least 1/2 up the sides of the chicken when all the pieces are in the pan. The oil must be at around 350 or so before you put the chicken in. Then salt & pepper one side of the chicken while it is in the pan frying. Then when it is time to flip the chicken (after about 5 mins or so), you salt & pepper the other side. Then you just salt & pepper as needed as you turn it, or maybe a little after you pull it out of the pan.

I never have problems burning the chicken or the crust falling off using her method.

I bet your grandmother loved that bbq chicken :) I wish I could cook for mine but she's like 1500 miles away.

Good on ya that chicken looks great. My old gray headed dad is the same age he loves the bird to. They are the greatest generation, we owe them much.

Cookin' for family and friends is what it is al about. Grandmas are the best reason! Very nice.

Dang that looks great! And you did real right cooking for her, an awesome meal I'm sure.

I sure miss my grandparents, wish I could have had the honor to cook for them like you did.

Back