Ok, first post- be gentle with me. I have been from one end of this thread to the other and I have a question. There seems to be a general consensus that it's hard to have too much exhaust using 8 holes or standard 2" bungs. But you have folk hammering, adjusting, clamping and using oven proof gasket to seal the lid.

I made my drum(s) both with flat lids- one fits so tightly I have to use a chunk of 2x4 to loosen it- does not show any smoke from around the edges. The other has wispies of smoke from the edges but is really easy to take on and off. They both seem to cook equally well- and I don't have issues holding temps.

Am I missing something about the need /benefit of having a super well fitting lid?

thanks all.

The only real problem is that when you go to shut it down it will just keep hovering at around 150* for days if you can't starve it of oxygen.

This will be my first reply on any forum, I'm getting younger I think! Not sure at all what your using or tools available but just an idea. If you are going to put legs on the top grate, just let them stand on the bottom grate. That's what I did but I had expanded metal for grates and a welder to attach legs. Food for thought. That way the u-bolts won't get in the way removing the bottom grate.

QUOTE=Toadly_Smoked;2617214]Doing some homework to build the "Ultimate UDS". This is what I am thinking now, what do you "UDS Masters" think.

Starting with a 55 gal drum and do the normal, burn, wire wheel and paint.

Now instead of using bolts to support the rack, use 4 Ubolts. Then make a second rack with legs that will sit into the Ubolts.

Anythoughts?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like it is going to happen. They are only available M-F, 8-5, which happens to be the only time I'm not available.

I got my barrels from the same guy, and they are perfect for making a UDS. I've built 4 so far and they sure do make it a lot easier than dealing with a liner.

If you want I can pick you one up and you can swing by and grab it. I live in Lewisville, don't know how far a drive that is for you. PM me your phone number and we can work something out.

Like it was said before, a super tight fitting lid is only important for shutting down after the cook. I once lost my lid on the way to a contest (long story) and ended up cooking with a piece of plywood with a hole in it for a lid. Worked just fine, holding temps in the wind and rain.

I got my barrels from the same guy, and they are perfect for making a UDS. I've built 4 so far and they sure do make it a lot easier than dealing with a liner.

If you want I can pick you one up and you can swing by and grab it. I live in Lewisville, don't know how far a drive that is for you. PM me your phone number and we can work something out.

Man...that'd be great! I have one other place in Garland that I am checking on, but don't seem to be getting a very prompt response. I like having your testimonial, though, that these other barrels will do the trick.

I'll PM you my info. Lewisville is about 25-30 minutes from me. I'd be very willing to swing by on a weekend to pick one up from you.

Thanks a bunch for the offer to help.

At what temperature should the tan liner burn off? I had the drum glowing last night and you can still see liner in there.

At what temperature should the tan liner burn off? I had the drum glowing last night and you can still see liner in there.

They don't always burn out. That is the big reason most say to stay away from them if possible. Some have had luck with a chemical stripper (Kleen Strip or something like that), others have resorted to either wire wheel/grinder or sandblasting.

I would recommend checking around and see what a shop would be willing to blast it for. Shouldn't be more than $40-$50. Some even do it for as low as $20. Check Powder Coating shops if a search for sandblasters doesn't bring anything local up, that is what I had to do.

They don't always burn out. That is the big reason most say to stay away from them if possible. Some have had luck with a chemical stripper (Kleen Strip or something like that), others have resorted to either wire wheel/grinder or sandblasting.

I would recommend checking around and see what a shop would be willing to blast it for. Shouldn't be more than $40-$50. Some even do it for as low as $20. Check Powder Coating shops if a search for sandblasters doesn't bring anything local up, that is what I had to do.

Thanks. I went back to the company that I got it from and told them what happened. I now have a new, unlined barrel and the one with the liner in it. No extra cost.

Thanks. I went back to the company that I got it from and told them what happened. I now have a new, unlined barrel and the one with the liner in it. No extra cost.
Now you have one for smoking dead animals and one for hiding and disposing of dead humans! Lucky!

Hi. I was in the process of doing a burnout, and came across this on Craigslist...

And a coal basket. Both for $50.00... Not bad,eh?

Heck, I'm in North Central Texas in September- uds sitting in the sun is 150 degrees with no coal lit.:grin:
But- being frugal (broke), saving charcoal is pretty important- I may have to rig up the top band with a toggle lever to seal up after a cook. Thanks for the input.

type of steel for the grill grate

My double barrel, offset, reverse flow smoker is near completion. I'm getting the gill ordered and cut from an industrial steel manufacturer. I don't know a whole lot about steel.

Should I get stainless (WAY, WAY, WAY) more expensive than plain hot-rolled, diamond pattern grates?

Plain or stainless?

Will this steel grating work? I'm looking to get 13 gauge steel. Is that going to be thick enough?

thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• expanded steel.jpeg
    expanded steel.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 557
Hey all,

First post here been lurking around for a while and i am ready to make my UDS but I am having trouble finding a drum with a removable lid. I'm in Akron,Ohio if anyone in NE Ohio has a drum i can buy or knows of a place to find one please let me know. Thanks

Heck, I'm in North Central Texas in September- uds sitting in the sun is 150 degrees with no coal lit.:grin:
But- being frugal (broke), saving charcoal is pretty important- I may have to rig up the top band with a toggle lever to seal up after a cook. Thanks for the input.

3 briquettes should get you to 225:biggrin:

Hey all,

First post here been lurking around for a while and i am ready to make my UDS but I am having trouble finding a drum with a removable lid. I'm in Akron,Ohio if anyone in NE Ohio has a drum i can buy or knows of a place to find one please let me know. Thanks

I havent purchased one from this company but you may want to check them out. http://www.ohiobarrel.com/

Keep Reading

Doing some homework to build the "Ultimate UDS". This is what I am thinking now, what do you "UDS Masters" think.

Starting with a 55 gal drum and do the normal, burn, wire wheel and paint.

Now instead of using bolts to support the rack, use 4 Ubolts. Then make a second rack with legs that will sit into the Ubolts.

Anythoughts?

Several pages back, Don't remember how far, its all a blur now, someone did just that, don't remember who, it's all a blur now, but it was successful
:-D

Back