reverse flow question

I just purchased a new pit but im having trouble getting the temp up.i noticed the reverse flow plate is not welded all the way around.it is spot welded.will this affect the way it cooks.i have used it two times and have cooked some great ribs and pork.it is hard to get it up to 300 degrees.i don't cook that high but was wondering if it is normal for the plate to be this way.thanks
CustomPits.com

Sounds like you have a issue with the air flow and drafting . You need to get the pit calculator and figure out what size your intake needs to be (you want to over size and add dampers) and also your exhaust stack needs to be properly sized with diameter and length to get the right draft. Also need to make sure you opening into the chamber where you reverse flow plate is big enough. If that opening is to small you are choking your draft and not letting the fire draft properly which will result in lower temperature. I built my own reverse flow smoker and I made sure I had a rack in my fire box and my intakes are located under the rack . Which air is forced through the fire to make it more efficient and burners hotter . below is a picture of the inside of my fire box . Hope this helps

smoke box.jpg

the more experienced guys on here say its a exhaust problem.mine already has the 5 inch pipe.i will check the gauges first to see if they really are off.thanks bbq

im not sure who is lying about who builds these pits.hbtwelding.com says they are the builders and custompits.com buys from them.maybe that is why other fellows have had a hard time with service after the sale.

Not sure about this....I went there with the intentions of buying a pit. They do actually have a shop and they do weld smokers there. They are pretty open about the manufacturing process.

im not sure who is lying about who builds these pits.hbtwelding.com says they are the builders and custompits.com buys from them.maybe that is why other fellows have had a hard time with service after the sale.

Ok I'm not a pit expert but I am very versed at wood. Make sure your wood is seasoned at least a year, dry stacked off the ground, and covered from weather. Unseasoned wood does not burn as hot or as efficient and wet wood puts off way to much smoke and not enough heat. Use splits about the size of a beer can. It also might help removing any thick bark on your splits. A bigger fire is necessarily better but a hot fire works wonders. Keep after it and you will figure out what works best.

IDK about this, could be Custom Pits is subcontracting manufacture to HBT Welding?

Not sure about this....I went there with the intentions of buying a pit. They do actually have a shop and they do weld smokers there. They are pretty open about the manufacturing process.

This is what I was afraid of when the issue came up before, but it seemed the mods to larger exhaust and better firebox ventilation got them working. I did look at the picsat bothe Custom Pits and HBT Welding and pretty juch all of their fireboxes look small to me. Hopefully one of them can comment our you might consider a PM to a couple of them.
I used your calculator and these are undersized fire boxes by 1/3.

Did you get this from the guys at www.custompits.com directly, or buy from someone else? I ask because I know Brad personally (and very well as they sponsor our cook team) and we have a pit from them. There were issues in the original design, but they were address in the re-design and what they're selling now has all the modifications that fixed the flow issues. This pit DOES NOT look like anything I have seen them build so I question who actually made this.

If you want to send me a private message I may be able to help you out because we have a pit from Custom Pits and if it did come from I may be able to give some advice to get it working right for you.

Last edited:
IDK about this, could be Custom Pits is subcontracting manufacture to HBT Welding?

I can GUARANTEE they do their own welding as I have been in their shop and seen their guys working. They are very open about their process; they even have a camera that you can stand in their sales room and watch the work in the shop...

Quick update: I spoke with Brad @ www.custompits.com and confirmed that is NOT one of his pits. He said that he has had issues with the guys at htbwelding.com making those claims before (that custom pits gets their cookers from them) and they had addressed it but apparently will need to talk with them again. Custom Pits has fixed their issues that were stated in the earlier posts (and re-posted here), and as I suggested to gamblerpro1, he should be able to fix his issues with a few more dampers because he does not have enough airflow currently with that set up. Hopefully the guys where he got it will add those dampers for him and get him on the right track.

Gamblerpro1, please keep us updated on whether or not this pit maker makes this right for you or if you find another solution to fix the problems.

I've been away for a while getting geared up for the upcoming football season but I'll add my two cents for what its worth. I bought the A1 from custom-pits back in march and had a terrible time getting my smoker up to temps along with smoke leaking from every opening possible. I spoke with Brad and his response was that the smoker was designed to cook at 180 to 200 degrees which was unacceptable to me. After posting on this forum, i learned that my FB's size and exhaust size were severely handicapping my ability to reach the temps and proper draft i was looking for. I again contacted Brad and he reluctantly admitted they were going to redesign the exhaust and he would contact me when they came available. Needless to say i never heard back from Brad. I decided to take my rig to a local welder and for $70 he added a 6 inch exhaust. I can now easily reach temps of 350 with no problem and my smoker no longer leaks smoke from the door or any other opening. I will eventually replace the FB with a larger one but for now I work with what I have no thanks to Brad and Custom-Pits.

Please don't let my opinion of Custom Pits affect anyone's buying decision...others may have different experiences dealing with custom-pits but in terms of design and customer service i would have to rate them very low.

That's a Greasy Hill Smoker out of Alabama I believe. I was just asking about this myself on another thread.

I own that pit and after a new vent on the door under the grate mine will hit 350 with the door barely cracked. Mine came with 2 vents (1 above the grate which was useless because that made it an exhaust!!!) I seen everyone putting on a wider vent and if i would have had the money I would have done the same! But after the second exhaust I had cut out it is a GREAT cooker! 2 small splits and it will hold temp at 300 for an hour. I just wish I would have waited another month before I bought mine so all the bugs could have been worked out:cry: I agree with bulldog. It is touchy on how you have it leaning. It effects the temp dramaticly. I usually have mine level but sometimes I have to dip the nose. Hope this helps!

For an offset smoker, I would suggest that any design that puts the firebox a) towards the automobile and b) puts the firebox ON THE FRAME is just plain and simple a horrendous bad design. I'm thinking its only a matter of a few good hot cooks before that frame becomes compromised. Then, undersize the firebox; not good. And that's IF they use good quality thick steel with good quality welds and an otherwise tried and true design.

Honestly, I'm thinking it's time to sell it and buy one from Tuscaloosa, Bubba Grills, or Lang. JMHO.

Back