• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How Many Brsikets

Meat & Heat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I am cooking for a family event later this summer. everyone wants brisket.
Question is how many for aprox 40 people.
Average size I get are in the 10-13lbs range.
There will be other sides of course, I was thinking maybe 4 total but tell me if i would need more.
Thanks in advance.

65 X 6 = 390
390 / 16 = 24.375
24.375 / 4 ~ 6.
So does a brisket typically loose half due to trimming and rendering? I've always wondered but never tested it. Thx

So does a brisket typically loose half due to trimming and rendering? I've always wondered but never tested it. Thx

Most people use 50% loss as a safe estimate (for pork butts, too), but every piece of meat will be slightly different and real world loss may be less. But at 50% you err on the side of having a little more meat than you need instead of not enough.

I agree with marubozo. The 50% loss number is a good standard to use. We find that both pork butts and packer briskets lose between 40% to 50% from cooking. It all depends on the quality/leanness of the product. We calculate a 50% loss just to be safe. We calculate our loss on every cook and have found that it has been holding steady at 45% loss. We use the same supplier each time so the product quality is uniform. That extra 5% gives us a little buffer in finished quantity.

I agree with marubozo. The 50% loss number is a good standard to use. We find that both pork butts and packer briskets lose between 40% to 50% from cooking. It all depends on the quality/leanness of the product. We calculate a 50% loss just to be safe. We calculate our loss on every cook and have found that it has been holding steady at 45% loss. We use the same supplier each time so the product quality is uniform. That extra 5% gives us a little buffer in finished quantity.

My 5% ends up being used for burnt ends.

Yea your about right! I always overshoot and figure 8oz per person and 50% loss so if your serving 40 people I would get at least 40lbs raw of briskets so if yiour getting 14lbrs your would have some left. You also have to figure a 14lbr will lose 1.5-2lbs at least for trimming the fat and now your at 12lbs then you figure it will shrink down to 6lbs after cooking and more fat rendering. so at 6lbs you can feed 12-8oz portions so yea going 4 briskets would definitely cover you. A good rule of thumb also is

No sides --8oz meat
1 side-- 6oz meat
2 or more sides--4oz meat

Back