Maiden voyage of the 26.75 OTG, chicken quarters...

ajstrider

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Little back story here... A couple weeks ago I purchased a Weber 26.75" OTG with the hopes of making a nice grill/smoker in one, I chose the big one because it should easily fit a brisket or two pork butts, which is my normal amount of food when I cook. I have plenty of other grills and smokers, I was just looking to experiment some more. But some modifications were in order because I can't leave anything alone. First I wanted a good way to indirect cook and smoke, so I took some aluminum expanded metal, trimmed it and bent it to make a little basket, then bolted an aluminum plate to it for a heat deflector. I left the top open for ease of adding more fuel or wood. I planned on putting a meatloaf pan with water on the grate above it while cooking. This grill is so big I ended up bolting my homemade smokenator ripoff basket to the charcoal grate because there is still plenty of room in the middle for a pile of charcoal during direct grilling. I cut a hole for a BBQGuru fitting and a probe fitting and poof, I have a nice setup. I also learned to use strip magnets to cover up the intake holes while using a Guru on the kettle, prevents the little leakage that makes controlling temperature hard.

Alright modifications done, I decided to try chicken quarters, which I have never done before. I brined overnight in salt water, rinsed, dried and added some Yardbird to them. Cooking at 275F until done by temperature.

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Wow what's something like that cost?
I like then mods, not sure I could bring myself to do that to a brand new kettle.
Can't wait it see how this and future cooks turn out!

Kettle is $299, aluminum expanded metal is $20, and the aluminum sheet metal was free, scrap at work.

Also the basket will work great for steaks, because I like to reverse sear mine and there is plenty room above it for the searing job.

Chicken came out juicy and delicious, though the skin wasn't as crispy as I would have liked, but that seems like the hard part of cooking chicken. I also learned my bird butchering skills are pathetic.

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

Chicken meat looks great. But by looking at the color of the skin, it appears you could of bumped up the cooking temps a bit. I like to do chicken in my kettle at around 350-375. It cooks up fast and the skin is crispy most of the time. If the skin doesn't look that crispy, you can drop the pieces over the direct heat for a minute or less to get some char on there.

Nice mods & first cook! Color and moisture looked perfect.

I'm really getting to like my 26.75 OTG - it has so much cooking real estate to work with you can experiment like you have done and still be able to cook on direct heat it you want to. I have a list of mods for mine including a basket something like yours and a pizza oven insert. I'm getting a CI main grate for my BD in a month so I'll wait to get that before building anything.

Back