• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best place to pick up a sheet of expanded metal

GrillsGoneWild

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I need to replace the expanded metal in my firebox. Anyone have a suggestion on where to go pick some up around the Dallas area? Only need a 2'X3'. Could use a bigger piece and cut off what I need for another project, but not looking for huge sheets.

Check Home Depot. It will be in the cement section. 2'x8' piece for about $9. It isn't heavy gauge, but it's easy to work with and big enough to make a few coal holders.
Curly

for standard grate material, checkout a metal supplies store. I know Metals4u has a store up in Dallas- they sell smaller 4x4 sheets- I've purchased the full 8x4 from them.

Check Home Depot. It will be in the cement section. 2'x8' piece for about $9. It isn't heavy gauge, but it's easy to work with and big enough to make a few coal holders.
Curly

That sounds awfully cheap.

got mine at HD, but it was $20 for a 24 X 24

and its thick heavy duty stuff

a pain to bend but it will last a long time

I searched CL services section for someone who did welding. I called them up and asked if he had any scrap he would sell me. He sold me enough to make at least three baskets for $15.00
He had the 9 gauge stuff. Way thicker than what you can get at Home Depot or Lowes.

I searched CL services section for someone who did welding. I called them up and asked if he had any scrap he would sell me. He sold me enough to make at least three baskets for $15.00
He had the 9 gauge stuff. Way thicker than what you can get at Home Depot or Lowes.

Very good idea! (Wish I had thought of it.)

I am getting ready to make a few more UDS's and will most definitely keep that in mind!

wallace

from the side. I find it cumbersome to try and pick it up from the center.

Try a local metal fabrication/welder place. I go to one and he tells me to just walk out into the shop and ask what they have for drops, or cut off pieces, on the floor. They even shear them to size for me and they are very reasonable $ wise.

got mine at HD, but it was $20 for a 24 X 24

and its thick heavy duty stuff

a pain to bend but it will last a long time

I bought some just the other day. It's with all the angle iron, square tubing in a white cardboard sleeve. You have to be looking to find it.

Back