• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tuning Plates

N2Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a 1/4" thick 20x40 stick burner that is a little uneven from side to side. As much as 50* at times. I'm trying to get an idea as to how tuning plates may help me out. Is it basically just pieces of plate steal that sits below the grates that are spaced out? Would they help even my temps out substantially?

I had a Chargriller offset that had drastic temperature changes from side to side and had a 1/4" plate made to sit right above the hole in the fire box and it did help even out the temp. It was never the same from side to side but it did help.

I have a 1/4" thick 20x40 stick burner that is a little uneven from side to side. As much as 50* at times. I'm trying to get an idea as to how tuning plates may help me out. Is it basically just pieces of plate steal that sits below the grates that are spaced out? Would they help even my temps out substantially?

I cooked on one this weekend with tuning plates and it was dialed in at 275 across the entire 48" chamber. steel plates, butted up by the firebox, spaced out as you went across.

I was having the same problem with my Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, so I bought this one. It works very well, and the temperature is easier to control now. I don't have a lot of big temp swings.

Attachments

• smoker mod 2.jpg
    smoker mod 2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 153
It's like adjusting the vents in your house. The closer vent to the furnace gets the most heat, so you reduce the vent to control the amount of heat. Further away from the furnace, you open the vents to allow more heat. Adjust the tuning plates to evenly allow heat to spread out throughout the food chamber. The futher away from the firebox, the wider the gap between plates.

Where would I find one like this?

pe8e9ypy.jpg

Where would I find one like this?

pe8e9ypy.jpg
Yes, Horizon smokers.They have several different ones, so measure your pit and see if they have one that matches yours. You will need to get after them a bit too. It took them a while to get it to me. I had to make several phone calls to see where my order was.

Back