BBQ A Old Goat

Mammoth Mountain

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been asked if I would BBQ a goat. Well I have never ate a goat and have no idea what it even taste like. Anyone have a good BBQ recipe / method for smoking a goat? It sounds interestinfg to me.
Thanks

I have been asked if I would BBQ a goat. Well I have never ate a goat and have no idea what it even taste like. Anyone have a good BBQ recipe / method for smoking a goat? It sounds interestinfg to me.
Thanks
Not sure about an "old goat" but a prime kid would be nice. I've always cooked em whole or quartered. LOW AND SLOW and the meat will pull right off the bone and melt in your mouth.:mrgreen:

A whole goat or part of a goat? Google can be yer friend on this one. Definitively not like lamb though. Lamb is tender much more than goat I would suspect. I'm so sure others from out Kentucky way will chime in on this one. Only cause it has to be like mutton.

In India, goat is done kinda hot n fast if cooking tandoori style. The younger the goat the better, as older ones tend to be tougher (especially the males). I think there may be some Mexican/South American recipes for doing goat lo n slo.

The ol skool type goats from back in the day, I would tend to agree, would be less tender than lamb but the improved muscling, growth, and meatiness that has taken place in the past 10-12 years in the meat goat industry by selective breeding has paid off. The improved carcass quality of young goat kids now is just as flavorful and tender as lamb. Fat composition is definitely different though. Lamb fat is NOT GOOD OR PLEASING to my palate.

Sorry cause I keep posting this but I found this in a small shop in Boston and thought it was perfect for a goat thread.
baconjam018.jpg

I love goat but be warned, there ain't gonna be much there once you're done cooking it. My favorite side dish with goat is a bucket of fried chicken otherwise you'll be starving.

If it is an old goat, I'd be making a big pot of curry goat!

I've cooked many goats both old and young. Kentuckian. My daddy's best friend is a goat farmer and owns a slaughterhouse. I'm a cook, studied under an old Greek man in Bham for awhile. I use his recipe. Take around 40 cloves of garlic, cut slits all over the goat, insert cloves, make a simple brine with salt, sugar and water. I use Ruhlman's recipe {easily searchable} brine the goat for 3-4 days. Cook offset, use fruit woods {apple, peach, pear etc} about an hour per pound. We have a goat bbq once per year and I'm the goat pitboss. Happy to answer any other questions.

The ol skool type goats from back in the day, I would tend to agree, would be less tender than lamb but the improved muscling, growth, and meatiness that has taken place in the past 10-12 years in the meat goat industry by selective breeding has paid off. The improved carcass quality of young goat kids now is just as flavorful and tender as lamb. Fat composition is definitely different though. Lamb fat is NOT GOOD OR PLEASING to my palate.

This selective breeding in the meat goat industry has obviously not reached as far as Afghanistan. My son has been eatin' a whole lotta goat in the past year, and although he's never been one to complain about any meal, he just shakes his head and groans (ala "Lurch" mod) when I've asked him how it was. :tape:

I posted this a while back on the Australian BBQ forum.
I hope you don't mind the pictures,Goat is magnificent meat.

Started out well,Got Maude (The Goat )
She cost us $45 ,which I was happy with,$8.50 a kilo.
The Butcher gave me a discount and his words were.
I givt Discoun cos yo lok old man and no much money.
Cheap roast I think

Made up a marinade using
Olive oil.
Lemon,Pepper,Salt, Corriander,white vinegar and Garlic.
Rubbed Maude up and Mounted her to the spit rod.

1b692b2d.jpg

Ran into trouble straight away,I had to do a roughy of the securing as she was much smaller than Lambs that I am use to.

513622c4.jpg

Seeing as Maude was so thin,I decided to sew her shut in the cavity,to stopp the ribs drying out.

2aa7bc30.jpg

Put Maude over direct Heatbeads and charcoal ,testing the temp by placing my hand at the same height and if I can hold my hand to the count of 5 ,Hot enough for me.
Also not too hot.

e3e74ce0.jpg

Kept the baste up often adding heat as needed.

e600c268.jpg

0b3c9f45.jpg

19fb8b36.jpg

3 hours on the spit to around 67c in the leg.

Removed, bulk portioned and in the esky with some hot water bottles for an hour.

7af49413.jpg

78c1d0b1.jpg

I Honestly have to say that Maude was Sweet and juicy and had a most delicate flavour.
We will be doing this again and I can see this as a viable alternative to a $25 dollar leg of lamb.
I actually prefer goat to lamb.Not close to twotooth tho.
If anyone has any reservations about trying Goat,I highly reccomend it.

Tonight ribs and leg flesh, yumm.First Goat eat for Dutchy with a big thumbs up.
80148c1a.jpg

Cheers.
Titch

Don't know if this will help you but it might be worth watching.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiwIne4kg94"]LINK[/ame]

(whole goat on the BBQ)

I posted this a while back on the Australian BBQ forum.
I hope you don't mind the pictures,Goat is magnificent meat.

Started out well,Got Maude (The Goat )
She cost us $45 ,which I was happy with,$8.50 a kilo.
The Butcher gave me a discount and his words were.
I givt Discoun cos yo lok old man and no much money.
Cheap roast I think

Made up a marinade using
Olive oil.
Lemon,Pepper,Salt, Corriander,white vinegar and Garlic.
Rubbed Maude up and Mounted her to the spit rod.

1b692b2d.jpg

Ran into trouble straight away,I had to do a roughy of the securing as she was much smaller than Lambs that I am use to.

513622c4.jpg

Seeing as Maude was so thin,I decided to sew her shut in the cavity,to stopp the ribs drying out.

2aa7bc30.jpg

Put Maude over direct Heatbeads and charcoal ,testing the temp by placing my hand at the same height and if I can hold my hand to the count of 5 ,Hot enough for me.
Also not too hot.

e3e74ce0.jpg

Kept the baste up often adding heat as needed.

e600c268.jpg

0b3c9f45.jpg

19fb8b36.jpg

3 hours on the spit to around 67c in the leg.

Removed, bulk portioned and in the esky with some hot water bottles for an hour.

7af49413.jpg

78c1d0b1.jpg

I Honestly have to say that Maude was Sweet and juicy and had a most delicate flavour.
We will be doing this again and I can see this as a viable alternative to a $25 dollar leg of lamb.
I actually prefer goat to lamb.Not close to twotooth tho.
If anyone has any reservations about trying Goat,I highly reccomend it.

Tonight ribs and leg flesh, yumm.First Goat eat for Dutchy with a big thumbs up.
80148c1a.jpg

Cheers.
Titch
Looking at the pics there it looks like that goat was about the size of a rabbit. I bet it was tender tender tender... The goats we generally butcher around here are yearling kids about 80-120 pounds.

Back