Salty Pork Injection - Will it Change the Texture?

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I used a pork injection with salt for the first time on pork butts. The injection had a considerable salty taste to it, but the pork didn't. What I did observe was two things:

- the pork did not pull well. It came out more in strings at times and it was difficult to pull.

- the texture when you chewed it was more like steak, a tender steak.........it had more firmness.

It was certainly different than my typical apple juice and Worcestershire injection. Can't be certain that it's the salt, as I didn't perform a B vs C experiment, but I never had pork butts turn out like that before.

First of all, does this make sense............is it in-line with your experiences?

My real question is, what is dersireable from a competition point of view? Is perhaps, my usual pork too soft/tender and the judges are really looking more for this steak-like texture and firmness.

Thanks,

I use salt in my injection and have never had that problem unless it wasn't cooked enough.

We use salt I our injections too.

I know Some of the pork butts you find will also contain a "salt solution" (such as Hormel). Some people say it give the meat a "hammy" flavor. I've cooked a couple of these butts in the past but have never really noticed a difference.

Thanks for the comments!

First thing I thought about was it being undercooked, but I pulled it from the pit at the same IT as usual and it probed well...............I think!

I guess it's time for that B vs C experiment!

Thanks again,

Was this an injection you made yourself or commercially made?

Does your injection have phosphates in it? They can cause texture issues kinda like what you describe if theres too much.

Some people say it give the meat a "hammy" flavor.

Probably a whole discussion by itself. Hammy, good or bad? We have generally tried to avoid hammy, but I am told that further south judges prefer that.

I do agree with the other posters that it sounds more like a doneness issue vs. the injection.

Back