cast iron COOKING SURFACE

ALLENY

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I recently received a cast iron cooking platter 20 " x 10" . I t was pre seasoned and i cooked vegetables on it and they were great. I washed the platter and dried it immediately but i notice a slight rust developing on the surface. Do i need to re-season it? If so, how would you recommend i do it?

Reseason it. Smear a very thin layer of crisco all over it and put it in a cold oven. Run the oven temp up to 350° and let it stay there for an hour. Turn the oven off and let the pan cool in the oven. Do not open the door. Put a drip pan of some sort underneath the pan in the oven while you are seasoning it.

You don't need to reseason it with each use, as long as you season it good and don't wash it.
Pre-seasoned cast iron is lightly seasoned and could stand a good seasoning anyways.

I clean mine with water and a brush. Dry well

I heat and spread fat on it and repeat, I will do this three times with new cast iron. It also needs to cool a little between coats, I don't think I have had to reaseason my cast iron in years.

Reseasoning cast iron sorta depends on what you are cooking in it. When I get 'new' cast iron, I always try to cook only fatty things in it like bacon for the first 8 or 10 times I use it. That helps the seasoning process quite a bit. If what you are cooking has a low or no fat content, you may need to reaseason more frequently.

I always wash mine in warm water and scrub it with a soft bristle brush to get the junk off, then IMMEDIATELY dry it and spray the cast iron LIGHTY with some sort of cooking spray (Pam or whatever you have).

I also store mine in the oven when not in use...just remember to remove it before you preheat your oven (I forget about every 3rd time and then remember when I go to use the hot oven). :becky:

When im done with mine i wash with water, then heat it up real good on the stovetop, wipe it down with cooking oil and let it cool, works like a champ

I spread a think layer of Crisco all over it, handles, bottom etc. included. I put mine on my Webeer Genesis at 350 for a litttle over an hour UPSIDE DOWN (so the Crisco doesn't pool when melting) and then let it cool on the grill before removing it. NEVER use soap, as others said, just use water and a brush. I picked up a cheap dishwashing brush that is used for nothing but cast iron so I never have to worry about soap residue. Nothing beats a well seasoned piece of cast iron.

For cleaning well-seasoned CI, try table salt and paper towels with no water.

I've found these work better than a brush

86_3588_1.jpg

Back