Another Tri-tip with pr0n

halfasian

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just another tri tip here. Its a bummer that it seems these cuts are rare in some places. These always go on sale here in Southern California, often for 1.99/lb - 3.49/lb. (though brisket around here seems to always be 4.99/lb or more in the local grocery stores). Anyway, this is the first time I have tried reverse searing one of these. Turned out terrific!

Salted, washed then rubbed in SM Season All, smoked with hickory and apple on the ECB for an hour, then reverse seared on the gasser. Rested for 15 minutes and served with some of my cheesy potatoes. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• salted.jpg
    salted.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 199
  • rubbed.jpg
    rubbed.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 195
  • seared.jpg
    seared.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 197
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 196
  • sliced.jpg
    sliced.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 202
  • potatoes.jpg
    potatoes.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
That's done just right! I LOVE 'em.
My local Kroger is starting to carry tri-tip recently. Got 3 in the freezer now.

Nice tri tip halfasian! I FINALLY found a butcher that will cut tri tips for me. I never buy just one at a time but I have to pay $5.99/lb. Still worth it, love the cut of meat.

looks great, but i have never had it or even seen it offered around here. does that get combined with a different cut and sold as something else or is it called something different?

Mmmm, mmm! That's what I love about tri-tip, there's usually a bath tub full of juice that comes out when you slice it.

Thanks everyone! It was little more done than I usually like my meat, wasnt expecting the temp to spike quite as fast as it did while searing I pulled it from the smoker at 120 then took it off the gasser at 132. After resting, it was a little on the medium side. Tri-tip is fabulous at med rare IMHO. But hey, what kind of cook would I be if I was completely satisfied with it.

looks great, but i have never had it or even seen it offered around here. does that get combined with a different cut and sold as something else or is it called something different?

I believe its part of the bottom sirloin. As far as I know, it doesnt have another name.

What/where exactly does a tri-tip come from? I know I had the meat science classes and such in college working on my ag degree but I don't ever recall learning that particular cut or where it comes from. Is it like a regional thing like what my Father in Law calls a Delmonico (which apparently is a cut from the ribeye area). I had never even heard of it until he kept griping about not being able to find them anywhere and then he started telling me about them and finally found a butcher that knew what he was talking about.

This tri tip thing looks great by the way. Just trying to find out exactly what it is and where to find one.

Found this. Looks to be the lower portion of the bottom sirloin primal.

Attachments

• bovine_breakdown.gif
    bovine_breakdown.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 102
Thanks guys. That helped a bunch. That Cali beef council page you sent me to had some very good pics/illustrations, a lot better than the college texts I had I can tell you that for sure.

Looks great, thanks for posting!
I've become the pied piper of Tri-Tip here on the East Coast.

Back