Steve Farrin For KCBS Board of Directors

I think that Steve would make a great BoD member - I'll vote for him.

Steve is a perfect candidate for the KCBS Board. You have our vote, Steve! :thumb:

Steve is outspoken and upfront
That indeed would be refreshing

Out of curiosity, I went and looked at his public profile here on this site. Based on his profile pic alone I'd say that he's definitely got my vote! Outspoken may be an understatement...

picture.php

he's certainly got my vote !.. several years experience as a qualified cook, and probably has seen it all.

He has the vote of the Manorville, NY Polish coalition.:thumb:

he's certainly got my vote !.. several years experience as a qualified cook, and probably has seen it all.

More than several. His team I Smell Smoke!!! has been cooking and winning for over 15 years in the northeast. In 2009 they hit the road to see how they would fare on the national stage.

http://kcbs.us/team-of-2009-overall.php

I guess they did OK. :becky:

Questions for the Candidate:

• What specific changes would you want to implement if elected?
  • Name 2 goals that you would like to see completed and implemented during your term (again, be specific)
  • Do you feel that the direction that KCBS is going in is the correct one? If not, where would you like to guide it?
  • Would you be willing to vote to publish a list of committee members for all the KCBS committees?
  • Are you for or against full disclosure of KCBS financials?
  • Should board members be ineligible to vote on issues before the KCBS board where they stand to gain financially from their vote?

Steve Farrin is one of the best people I've met in BBQ and one of the best people I can think of to serve on the board at this time. He's got an open mind, and new ideas to benefit the membership.

Care to elaborate?

I'll let Steve speak for himself when it comes to his ideas, but I'll tell you a personal story that I believe says a lot about him as a cook and a person.

Several years ago I flew up to Long Island and went to New Paltz, NY to cook a contest with friends and members of this forum. Phil Rizzardi, and the boys from Willie B's (Willie, Chris, and Fred). We each took a category and being the Texan they decided I should cook the brisket. I had a lot of fun that weekend, and finished 17th in my category with pulled brisket point. It wasn't intentional, but we made the best of a bad situation. Steve and ISS!!! won, and we managed a top 10 finish thanks to the other guys...not that my brisket could have made a difference. I went over to congratulate Steve before we finished packing up and vowed not to come back until I learned to cook a proper brisket.

After I got home, I sent a follow up message to congratulate him again and mentioned my embarassment about my brisket. His response was "Have any questions?" or something to that effect. That spoke volumes to me about what kind of cook and person he was. Steve and his team were on fire that year and he could have just said "Thanks".

I'll share one more story that speaks directly to his character. A few years ago, before the forum became as large as it is now there was a charity auction being held to quietly raise some money for a members family. Steve stepped up and was willing to auction off a kit containing all of the ingredients he was using in competition including recipes. The bidding was fierce and I decided early on that it was going to be mine, so I planned to snipe it at the last second regardless of cost as there was a time limit. I'm a type A personality and I was motivated...my brisket needed it:icon_blush::laugh: I got in under the wire, and then another bidder came in and seemed to have won/bid more. From the airport, and checking things out on his cell Steve asked if I could close the auction as a moderator at that time...and then he said he'd honor both bids. Keep in mind he provided the product for two packages and shipping for one, out of his own pocket. We arranged for me to pick mine up at the Royal later in the year. Character, again.

Does that answer your question?:becky:

I'll let Steve speak for himself when it comes to his ideas, but I'll tell you a personal story that I believe says a lot about him as a cook and a person.

Several years ago I flew up to Long Island and went to New Paltz, NY to cook a contest with friends and members of this forum. Phil Rizzardi, and the boys from Willie B's (Willie, Chris, and Fred). We each took a category and being the Texan they decided I should cook the brisket. I had a lot of fun that weekend, and finished 17th in my category with pulled brisket point. It wasn't intentional, but we made the best of a bad situation. Steve and ISS!!! won, and we managed a top 10 finish thanks to the other guys...not that my brisket could have made a difference. I went over to congratulate Steve before we finished packing up and vowed not to come back until I learned to cook a proper brisket.

After I got home, I sent a follow up message to congratulate him again and mentioned my embarassment about my brisket. His response was "Have any questions?" or something to that effect. That spoke volumes to me about what kind of cook and person he was. Steve and his team were on fire that year and he could have just said "Thanks".

I'll share one more story that speaks directly to his character. A few years ago, before the forum became as large as it is now there was a charity auction being held to quietly raise some money for a members family. Steve stepped up and was willing to auction off a kit containing all of the ingredients he was using in competition including recipes. The bidding was fierce and I decided early on that it was going to be mine, so I planned to snipe it at the last second regardless of cost as there was a time limit. I'm a type A personality and I was motivated...my brisket needed it:icon_blush::laugh: I got in under the wire, and then another bidder came in and seemed to have won/bid more. From the airport, and checking things out on his cell Steve asked if I could close the auction as a moderator at that time...and then he said he'd honor both bids. Keep in mind he provided the product for two packages and shipping for one, out of his own pocket. We arranged for me to pick mine up at the Royal later in the year. Character, again.

Does that answer your question?:becky:

He even allowed the Polocks to get in on that one. He gave us our batch of ingredients at Rock n' Rinfest in New Hampshire. Good guy.....straight shooter.

Back