ABT Meat - What kinds have you tried?

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
I plan to make my 1st batch of ABT's this week. I have seen several ways to make them. Little smokeys, pulled pork, etc.......
What is the meat that you like to use? Of couse whatever meat does goes inside will be wrapped in BACON!!!

Chorizo is what I use. I'll brown & strain it first to get most of the grease out, tho.

Andouille sausage. I have to make my own, but some areas have it available.

chad, check your local Publix for Savoie's andouille. Mine carries it and it is good sausage. Made in Opelousas, LA.

savoies.jpg

Almost any meat that you like will work just fine.
Just remember that it needs to be cooked before stuffing with it.

Also, different cheezes work great.
We use cream cheeze for a base and mix pepper jack, tex-mex blend, or "whatever".

I like a lot of different meats but like to use shellfish a lot.
Shrimp, pineapple bits, and maraschino cherries (for contrast) is one of our favorites.

Feel free to experiment.

It's all GOOD EATS :-D

TIM

So far the only meat I've used is pulled pork - usually mixed with some combination of cheese(s), onion, garlic, etc.

I think I'll try some pulled chicken and/or some pulled beef next.

I use Italian sausage (usually my own recipe) mixed with a blend of Mozzarella and Provolone cheeses.

Smoke a FATTY and crumble it up!!! Just do it. You won't regret it but you might never want to try anything else.

Medium count shrimp, fresh peeled. Sprinkle with a little bit of Tony C's cajun spice mix.

Just recently I used sauted chicken hearts, get a pound for $1.25. I want to try gizzards or livers. The hearts fit perfect and on the larger japs I used 2.

For those of you that have used shrimp:

Do you put them in the pepper whole, or chop them up and mix with other ingredients?

Do you cook ABTs with shrimp for a shorter period of time than you do for ones using more "traditional" meat fillings? In other words, if you're waiting for the bacon top crisp up do you risk overcooking the shrimp?

I've used Jimmy Dean, pepperoni, lil smokie and chopped shrimp.

All go fast, the pepperoni went the fastest.

These were pepperoni.
4514237867_a0a0d78600_z.jpg

Oh another good trick is to stuff the jalepeno, put it inside a dove breast and then wrap with bacon.

For those of you that have used shrimp:

Do you put them in the pepper whole, or chop them up and mix with other ingredients?

Do you cook ABTs with shrimp for a shorter period of time than you do for ones using more "traditional" meat fillings? In other words, if you're waiting for the bacon top crisp up do you risk overcooking the shrimp?

I put them in whole, with cream cheese & a mango slice then bacon wrap, season, etc..... Smoke-grill on the kettle, wide open, indirect to start then finish up the bacon over the heat. My intention is to get the bacon right, everything else takes care of itself.

ABTs004.jpg

ABTs012.jpg

I can't think of a single meat I didn't like, but sausages do seem to work better, I think fat content is the thing. ABT's are not lite by any means...and the flavor seems best with a nice fatty meat for some reason. The exception is seafood.

Back