• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

On the fence

capt. dan

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey guys, been lurking for a while now. I am looking to upgrade from a gas grill. I am kicking around a couple of ideas. Either a ceramic cooker or a charcoal grill and a smoker. I could get a Weber performer and a WSM and be close to the price of BGE. Having three grills on my deck would be a stretch but I could always put the smoker down stairs on the lower patio but this would be a disadvantage of not getting a ceramic.

A little history. I started out with a 196X portable kitchen that was given to me by my grandfather. I used it for years and loved it but all I cooked on it was hamburgers and hot dogs. It was all I could afford back then. Unfortunately it cracked during a move. I replaced it with a Weber Genesis and have been using it for the last 17 years. Very happy with the Weber product. I plan on keeping it but would like a to cook over fire again. I also want to give smoking a try.

My dad has a large BGE and I am going to visit him in a week. I am going to take a shot at smoking something on it while visiting. He only uses it as grill. Any thoughts of what I should try first?

Any help with either subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Big Green Egg or a Big Steel Keg is the way to go unless you really need a 22" diameter smoker. Of course, if you do, you can always build a UDS which, IMO, is as good or better than a WSM. And, for the first BBQ cook on one I'd suggest a pork butt. Good luck.

First off, welcome to the forum!

The BGE... its a popular cooker with multiple possibilities... will answer your needs.
As in other ceramic cookers, will do: low/high temp, direct and indirect cooking.

The learning curve will be mastering the low temp/fire management (thru intakes/exhaust)... once you achieve that... the possibilities are limited by your own imagination.

If you want to start off light and short term... a few fatties are always a great beginning.
A porkloin (140* @ 2 hours) or a smoked chicken (160* @ 4 hours) are a little longer.

Keep in mind that if you wanna do a lo-n-slo on the Egg,you MUST have a heat diffuser between the coals and the meat.Your Dad may not have all the accessories needed to do a slo cook.You can use a drippan of liquid,a pizza stone, a platesetter etc.Just be sure to have some type barrier.I LOVE my Large BGE.Most versatile,easiest to use/controll cooker I have ever had the privilidge to cook on.My problem is I do too many BIG cooks that it cannot handle.If they made a super XXXXXXXL about 72 inches in diameter!:laugh::thumb: For the family it is GREAT!

Well, I totally understand your dilemna as I went through the same thought process. After 3 year, this is what I ended up with. I used to have a Kettle, got busy, bought a gasser. Then life slowed down a bit and I bought a BGE. Then I made a UDS and bought a Kettle. Full circle. Enjoy, it's all good!

BBQwithblueweber.jpg

If you are considering a BGE, check out the Primo Oval Ceramic Grill/smokers. Better design and in my opinion, quality that BGE.

Thanks for the heads up on the diffuser. I will make sure we have something to use. I think he has a pizza stone. If not we will use a pan of water.

Probably leaning towards a ceramic. With a Gasser and an egg I should be good to go. How many still use gas after going to an egg?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up on the diffuser. I will make sure we have something to use. I think he has a pizza stone. If not we will use a pan of water.

Probably leaning towards a ceramic. With a Gasser and an egg I should be good to go. How many still use gas after going to an egg?

Can't speak for everyone... have given up my gas grill many years ago... only use gas today to light the other main fuel... be it charcoal, wood, or lump (using a weedburner torch).

If you are considering a BGE, check out the Primo Oval Ceramic Grill/smokers. Better design and in my opinion, quality that BGE.

I have not used or checked into the Primo. But I would like to know the basis of your statement that the BGE is of lower quality?

I gotta be honest with you.

If I was in your position and had the $$ to do what you're thinking of, I'd go with some form of a Weber kettle (OTG, Performer, Platinum...) and a WSM.

With the Webers, you'll get quality and quantity!

Youll save a lot of little green dollars going for a kettle over a big green egg. I understand they are great and all, but a few bucks and a little ingenuity will go a long way with grills amd smokers. Personally i would go for a kettle, then a wsm or uds for smoking. I would love a bge if they werent so expensive and I felt the need for one, but they are and I dont!

I don't own a BGE so I can't really comment on them, but I do have a Weber kettle and a WSM, and I would recommend them.

I normally do low and slow in the WSM, and hot and fast on the kettle, best of both worlds.

I think that it would come down to space, if you have the space for the two, go for it. Otherwise BGE would be the way to go.

Just my 0.02c :thumb:

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1685855 said:
I have not used or checked into the Primo. But I would like to know the basis of your statement that the BGE is of lower quality?

Terry, I see you are a proud owner of a BGE. I assume you as 99% of all BGE owners take exception to my remark about quality. Notice that I did not say that the BGE is of poor quality but, I personally and many who have switched from BGE to Primo will attest to the Primo being of BETTER quality. Side by side comparison you can see the differences. Now I should have made it clear that I'm talking mainly about the Primo Oval grills. The first thing you will notice is the cooking grate. The primo is a heavy duty grate compared to what I think is dinky looking for the BGE. The Rain Cap is another. It's been a while since I've looked at the BGEs but, when I was in the market for a ceramic I went with the Primo Jr. For the money I think I got a better deal and grill with Primo. Again, I emphasize that I'm talking about the Oval grill.

Now on that topic, BGE only makes a round grill. Look at a Primo Jr or XL Oval and notice the design and capability of being able to use the firebox divider for better heat management during indirect cooking. You can deflect heat on half of the cooker for even better heat control.
Their acesorries are more versatile for multi level cooking and especially smoking.

The bottom line is that what I stated is MY opinion. Perhaps had you seen a Primo when you were in the market for your grill/smoker you MIGHT have gone that route. I'm not saying that BGE is a bad product, I just happen to think Primo grills are better. If you have a dealer in your area, stop by there sometime just to check it out.

In my experience most BGE owners are EXTREMELY loyal to their grill and don't believe that it is even remotely possible for there to be a better product than the one they own.

Terry, I see you are a proud owner of a BGE. I assume you as 99% of all BGE owners take exception to my remark about quality. Notice that I did not say that the BGE is of poor quality but, I personally and many who have switched from BGE to Primo will attest to the Primo being of BETTER quality. Side by side comparison you can see the differences. Now I should have made it clear that I'm talking mainly about the Primo Oval grills. The first thing you will notice is the cooking grate. The primo is a heavy duty grate compared to what I think is dinky looking for the BGE. The Rain Cap is another. It's been a while since I've looked at the BGEs but, when I was in the market for a ceramic I went with the Primo Jr. For the money I think I got a better deal and grill with Primo. Again, I emphasize that I'm talking about the Oval grill.

Now on that topic, BGE only makes a round grill. Look at a Primo Jr or XL Oval and notice the design and capability of being able to use the firebox divider for better heat management during indirect cooking. You can deflect heat on half of the cooker for even better heat control.
Their acesorries are more versatile for multi level cooking and especially smoking.

The bottom line is that what I stated is MY opinion. Perhaps had you seen a Primo when you were in the market for your grill/smoker you MIGHT have gone that route. I'm not saying that BGE is a bad product, I just happen to think Primo grills are better. If you have a dealer in your area, stop by there sometime just to check it out.

In my experience most BGE owners are EXTREMELY loyal to their grill and don't believe that it is even remotely possible for there to be a better product than the one they own.

Thanks for your response. Each person has their own opinion on which product is better. I can only add that your benefits mentioned are minor differences. Everything stated can be done on the Egg as well as the Primo. The only true difference would be the Oval design. I supposed there could be some advantages to this. But regardless, I believe the Egg is as versatile as the Primo. There are many people here that have the Primo and I am sure it is a good quality product.

Now we have this behind us, Post up some Pron!

Enjoy!

Just bought a Kamado Joe. Read lots of reviews beforehand. Honestly, they are all pretty similar but I have become a big fan of these "egg" type of grills.

No experience, but I don't know about the gas assist performers. Those starter cubes are pretty darn simple.

So, to me, it's between the BGE and the WSM + kettle

I'd go with the BGE if it's in the budget.

Been doing a lot of short quick cooks lately on my Weber OTS, and the results have been really really good. I do a lot of offset cooks with chicken, MOINK balls, and pork loin in the OTS, and it's all been fantastic with little time and effort.

So one vote for a simple OTS. Then you'll be hooked :)

Boy - There is no wrong answer here. If you want one cooker to do everything, then get a BGE. If you'd like a dedicated smoker and the capacity for larger amounts of meat, then buy a UDS or WSM with a Kettle on the side for grilling.

Myself, I'd go BGE with a UDS on the side for larger cooks. I have this set-up and it works great.

As for Primo vs. BGE - Very similar cook characteristics with BGE coming out ahead on customer service, lifetime warranty & huge array of accessories.

Not sure how anyone can survive without a kettle:laugh: The ceramics are terrific. I like to pull ribs off of them and then put them on a kettle to sauce and finish. A touch of flame does wonders for the flavor. As far as Primo or BGE. Love that the Primo is made in the USA and the ease of indirect/direct cooking at the same time (Primo XL). If you find that you want to sell one of them, the BGE will be gone in a day. The Primo may take a while dependent upon the marketing support your area has. IMHO!!

I appreciate everyone's advice. O actually did a fatty on my gasser today. Turned out pretty good. It was 50/50 sausage and ground chicken with some onion, mozzarella, and green pepper.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the portable kitchen. I don't see many people talking about it.

One thing I have noticed is just about everyone who has a ceramic loves them. I know they are pricey but so was my Weber Genesis when I bought it. My friends have me alot of grief about spending $400 on a grill. I couldn't tell you how many grills they have been through the last 17 years. I am not afraid to spend a little money to get one that is going last. Sounds like any of the ones mentioned are going to be fine.

Again thanks for the advice...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1309050650559.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1309050650559.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 32
Back