California Dreaming

MEAT

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I've been up and down the California coast for the last 20 years and no one can make decent BBQ out here.
Why is that?
Plus no one in Ca builds pits/smokers.
I guess I answered my own question...:bored:

I need to move back to Texas...geez

You need to find Bigmista. I've heard he cooks outrageous Q.

Oh, and if you can't find a California made pit, build a UDS.

yep moved out from GA and had to build a UDS.

I have not found anything in this area worth going back to so I just stay at home and play.

I would not eat any BBQ in Monterey, but, there are some good places in CA. Not just Big Mista's, you just have to keep looking. You will not find any near Monterey, that place is a wasteland for any food with spice or strong taste. Head into the valley, you will find places there, as well as in L.A. and the Bay Area.

As an aside, unless you have closed your mind to what BBQ is, there are loads of places that feature Mexican and Cal-Mex styles of live fire cooking. Santa Maria is excellent as well.

Cook your own and it can be just as good if not better than Texas que

There's good BBQ in California. You've obviously not eaten at the right places.

BTW: I've eaten some pretty crappy BBQ in Texas.

US-101 South
Hwy-46 East
I-5 South
I-10 East

I've never eaten there, but there is that Central Texas BBQ in Castroville, anybody ever tried it?

There's good BBQ in California. You've obviously not eaten at the right places.

BTW: I've eaten some pretty crappy BBQ in Texas.

US-101 South
Hwy-46 East
I-5 South
I-10 East

Thanks Larry - He needs to get out of the fog in Monterey and do some driving...Jocko's in Nipomo, Big Mista, Phat Matts. you might also want to head to a Mansmith's BBQ in San Juan Bautista.

I agree, Monterey is NOT a BBQ community - I grew up there...however you are one valley away from some REAL Santa Maria stuff as he heads down Hwy 101.

California may not be Texas, but Texas is DEFINITELY not California.

Man, I've been to 3 States in the USA.... Texas, California and New York...

Go figure... Phil's in NYC giving advice, and you guys comparing Texas and CA....

Well, my last visit to the US was in 2003... exclusively in NY and Long Island (Huntingdale). Before that I did a tour of El Paso ... (popped into Juarez for a day) and then back to Orange County.

I wish I'd known about real BBQ back then, but I was truly wandering around in the bushes lookin' for a match. I never had good BBQ in my entire time in the US because I didn't know what to look for. I never saw a trailer bbQ anywhere... Man I had a great time but I'm sure I missed out bigtime. The closest thing I got to Q was when I went to a place called CattleBaron in Tx. I had a steak drooping off both sides of the plate... and it was a BIG plate.... It was a great steak.

Anyway... what I'm thinking is that you guys have got it sooo goood! I wish I was there again.

Next time you go looking for restaurant Q... think about where you could take ME to show off true American Q!

Lists please.... I'm coming again one day!!!

Cheers!

Bill

Almost forgot...Brent Walton at QN4U - He's got a solid product in Clovis...

Hey Bill, you find you way here and we can get you some Q. No lamb though.

I have heard bad things about the BBQ places in Castroville. One is more known for it's pizza than it's meat, the other is over-priced and meat has an odd taste. But, I have not been to either own, just rumor. My view is if you have not tried it, you have to keep an open mind.

I've never had good Q in California but I rarely give any of it a shot because I know most of it will suck.

I live in Riverside but I am constantly in LA or San Diego and all over So Cal, really. Where are the best joints? I will travel for some good food. I don't get up north at all but I am always willing to make a little weekend trek.

CA just doesn't have the bbq culture that some states have. But a lot of people in CA are transplants from all over the US so when they smell good que they go nuts, takes em back home. Recently I helped a team vend a comp in small town south of San Jose and we sold out in less than 2 hours. I work in SF and when I heat up my leftovers from the weekend people are always coming by my cube to see what I made. Now I have to bring extra all time to share.

There is a country music/bbq fest next month in SF, Zac Brown Band headlining. I have a feeling the cookers won't be the only smoke filling the air. :p

p.s. try Great American BBQ in Alameda.

Kyle go to a competition
We will be cooking in Vista July 31

I really do need to check out a competition some time. All of the best Q I've had was back home in Texas at cookouts and restaraunts. I'd love to experience a comp.

Is this the specific event you're talking about? I just did a quick google search for "bbq competition vista, ca July 31" and this was the first thing that popped up.

http://www.vvba.org/rodrun.html

I really do need to check out a competition some time. All of the best Q I've had was back home in Texas at cookouts and restaraunts. I'd love to experience a comp.

Is this the specific event you're talking about? I just did a quick google search for "bbq competition vista, ca July 31" and this was the first thing that popped up.

http://www.vvba.org/rodrun.html

Yes I will be there cooking as When Pigs Fly
Come on over

Does anyone besides the judges have an opportunity to taste the Q at an event like this one?

Thanks

Back