Meatloaf & Apple Pie

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
I've never smoked a meat loaf, or an apple pie for that matter. With the Throwdown "Let's Get Baked" challenge, I felt inspired.

So I started by putting the middle kid to work on the apple pie with peeling and slicing the apples.
Summer-Fall2012003.jpg

I usually make my own crust, but admittedly cheated this go round with a frozen crust. But I filled the crust and got it ready to bake while the UDS was coming up to temp. This is about 45 minutes in. UDS was cruising along at 350 and I applied egg white wash.

Summer-Fall2012014.jpg

The pie comes off to cool about the time the meat loaf goes on.

Summer-Fall2012028.jpg

I make my meat loaf a little different than most...almost like candy. Brown sugar, regular sugar, ketchup and BBQ sauce. Again, the middle kid goes to work on the mixing.

Summer-Fall2012017.jpg

Meat loaf is ready to come off the smoker at about 180 IT.

Summer-Fall2012029.jpg

The money shot, as good as it gets anyway. The food tasted far better than the photo looks.

Summer-Fall2012032.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great! Apple pie a la mode is my favorite. Nice use of the kid crutch also! Nothing like sharing some time with the kids in the kitchen. :thumb:

WE had meatloaf last night too! (oven meatloaf)

That looks great man! Apple pie......MMMMMMMMMMMM!

Nice work Greg! :clap:

The kids love meat loaf, but I never would have thought to do one on the smoker without the advice from folks on here. Now I'm not sure I can ever cook one in the oven again.

Back